Need Ridgeway Clock specifications

taffrail

Jul 19, 2021
Country
I purchased a Ridgeway clock movement without weights, chains, or pendulum. Need to get all of that. Originally it was for parts but is too nice to part out.

Details:
Model: 167
Movement:E
Serial number:7163

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

clock 1.JPG clock 4.JPG clock 3.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Exactly what "specifications" do you need.

It looks like an Urgos UW32 (first series). Probably about 50 years old and in need of a lot of serious repair work, or replacement.

Willie X

taffrail

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Exactly what "specifications" do you need.

It looks like an Urgos UW32 (first series). Probably about 50 years old and in need of a lot of serious repair work, or replacement.

Willie X
According to a local clock repairman who has only seen the same photos shown here, it is indeed a Urgos movement. With out of the way (if it is), I strongly suspect I will be back here looking for advice and possibly parts. Thanks for all the replies. I am retired and have a good deal of time so repair will be the option.

I need chain size and length, pendulum size and length, and weight specifications. Other than that and learning how to spell clock, I'm all set, for now.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
taff,

I am curious as to your goal. If you want a nice modern GF, it would be far more practical to just buy a complete clock. They are dirt cheep @ about 0 to 400 bucks for just about anything you can think of.

Rounding up the missing parts for your old movement/dial will likely cost you more money and time than finding/buying a complete clock.

I assume you may be planning on building a case, or maybe you just want to try your hand at clock repair?

BTW, weights are 4.5# for time/strike and 6.6# for chime. Most had a 3/4" stick pendulum with a German disk style bob between 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" in diameter. The length can easily be determined by experiment BEFORE you cut the stick! Even then, cut it long and sneak up on the final length.

Willie X

taffrail

Jul 19, 2021
Country
taff,

I am curious as to your goal. If you want a nice modern GF, it would be far more practical to just buy a complete clock. They are dirt cheep @ about 0 to 400 bucks for just about anything you can think of.

Rounding up the missing parts for your old movement/dial will likely cost you more money and time than finding/buying a complete clock.

I assume you may be planning on building a case, or maybe you just want to try your hand at clock repair?

BTW, weights are 4.5# for time/strike and 6.6# for chime. Most had a 3/4" stick pendulum with a German disk style bob between 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" in diameter. The length can easily be determined by experiment BEFORE you cut the stick! Even then, cut it long and sneak up on the final length.

Willie X
Willie,
Thank you for the info you have supplied and the concern. I received the movement today. The model is UW32/1A, and the serial number is 335783. As to why......I enjoy mechanical things. Older cars, guns, radio controlled (race) cars, fishing reels, and locks. As I get older I look for smaller items to play with. I am 74 and retired so I have a good bit of free time. I had a clock shop in Germany and worked full time as a USA serviceman. Did not have much time to spend with each clock as I had a full time job and traveled a lot to buy clocks and other stuff. Now I have the time to baby just one movement at the time. I have no cabinet for this clock and really have no plans to get one. Might later. I just found out about bushings and other repair procedures. My initial examination of this movement shows very little, if any wear. The plates look new and were it not for the numbers I would believe I had a modern movement. My plan is to add to the stand I have, mount the movement, add weights, pendulum, and chains, and see how bad it is. Later I might take it apart and clean. For now I have removed hands and face and packed it away until I get the stand modified.

Last edited by a moderator:

taffrail

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Can you tell me the approximat
taff,

Willie X
I have ordered a 34 inch pendulum stick and hope that will be correct or possibly too long, not too short. Also ordered a 4 1/2" bob. I still need weights and chain. Until I know the exact condition of the movement I will not buy weight shells. Any chance you could give me chain size? Guessing the chain length to be 72".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyby71
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller