• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Need photo of Roses from a mini (3 ball) schatz

tnmechanic

Sep 10, 2008
Middle Tennessee (Nashville Metro)
Country
Region
I'm new to the hobby and just finished my first restoration.

If any has a photo of the dial or base from a three balled schatz, please send me a picture (hopefully a well lit closeup, from straight on). I plan to edit the image of the roses and reproduce the flowers as a decal that can be added to the face and base.

I have included a scan of my original face showing the faded roses. Unfortunately, it was too far gone to be used as a pattern.

I have also included a photo of the clock for reference.

This forum has been a great help for a newbie, thanks to all for your contributions here!

Thanks,
TNmechanic

Attachments

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi TNmechanik and wellcome to the message board! Aren´t they beautyfull??Especially the JUF/Schatz!
OK,I´m sorry ,I don´t have the pic You need,but:Is Your dial realy "far gone to be used"?Just two thoughts of mine:1)this clock is probably from the fifties,does it have to have a flawless face?(I myself am from the fifties and I´m by far not flawless!)
2)I´m not a computerfreak(If You could see me hacking this in with one finger,it takes me 20 min.for 5 lines...)but I remember members of this MB talking about computerprograms enabeling them to reconstruct dials/faces out of traces of the original painting!IMHO it should be possible with these programs to create what You want.Perhaps someone can give a hint??
Burkhard

tnmechanic

Sep 10, 2008
Country
Region
Lifeisgud,
Thanks for the pic. I sent my email address to you as a PM.

Burk,
As for the perfect face, I agree w/ you. I like my clocks to show their age. But this one is intended as a gift for a relative. I want it looking like new.

Thanks to the both of you!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
TN,

With all due respect, I think you may be about to break one of the premere rules of the clock repair trade.

i.e. when it comes to an old clock dial 'leave well enough alone'.

Willie X

lifeisgud71

Jul 30, 2008
Nebraska
Country
Region
Hello Again and Good Day!

I do certainly agree with the beauty of the original face of the clock showing some age.
The face of my clock was comparable to the one shown by TNMechanic before it was cleaned. They do clean up quite nice if one is careful.

I was going to add a note that the face posted did not look bad to me at all, but time was short and the face looked like it was already stripped.

I have learned not to be embarrassed about asking the experts on this site for any advice before, during, and even after completion of a project to help preserve these wonderful, historical relics for future generations.

Your clock will make a wonderful gift TNMechanic and I will try to send the photos Sunday or Monday. My camera is at the Cabbage Patch with the Grandkids.

GB

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
TNmechanic, superb restoration! Congratulations for a job well done, and thanks for sharing.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Ditto! You could post your procedure for us! We'd like to know how you did it :)

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi TNmech
Verry well done,congrats!!Concerning the discussion of "old" or "new" looking face just my opinion:I´d certainly go with Willie X to leave an old face alone if it was a clock of any historic or cultural significance.I´d also leave the face alone if it was for me only,´cause I dont bother.But these were produced in their millions and the "cultural value" of this special design is IMHO not that high.There are many of these with their faces being preserved like new just because they have been better taken care for.So for me it´s completely ok to have the face restored to its former beauty.You repaint the windows of Your house after some years of wear and tear,don´t You?Just my opinion :)
Burkhard

tnmechanic

Sep 10, 2008
Country
Region
Thanks to all for your compliments.

For those that want to use this technique, the process of duplicating the rose image was as follows;

1.Take an original, well lit photo (or scan), with the image "front and centered" to prevent skewing.

2. Using a photo editor, crop out the desired image and erase all of the background and surrounding parts of the picture. The image can be edited to brighten, tint, sharpen, etc.. The image can then be test printed for appearance and size. It can then be resized and printed a few times to "get it right".

3.The image is then printed on decal paper (ink-jet or laser-jet).

4. The decal is trimmed to the desired size.

5. The trimmed decal is soaked in warm water for 30 seconds to release the decal from the paper.

6. The image is applied and allowed to dry.

7. The decal can be painted over with a clearcoat to preserve it ( laser jet decals only). This also helps to hide the decal edges.

Tips...

Laser decals work best. They are thermally sealed ( no ink to dissolve) and can be clear coated.
The decal paper also called "waterslide paper" can be bought online or in some hobby shops. There are two kinds, clear or a white background. Since I was applying them to a white painted background, I used the clear decals.

For a flat original (such as a dial) a scanned image works much better than a photo. You dont need to resize the image.

This type of decals is identical to model car decals that most of us are familiar with.

This is a good technique to duplicate the flower faces and bases of the fifties variety of schatz and kundos.

If anyone wants more details, please PM me. I will be glad to help.

I have added a few images below to show the steps.
original photo, cropped image, border erased, printed decal applied

Attachments

Gianluca

Dec 6, 2006
lavezzola (ravenna)
Country
Region
Thanks to all for your compliments.

For those that want to use this technique, the process of duplicating the rose image was as follows;

1.Take an original, well lit photo (or scan), with the image "front and centered" to prevent skewing.

2. Using a photo editor, crop out the desired image and erase all of the background and surrounding parts of the picture. The image can be edited to brighten, tint, sharpen, etc.. The image can then be test printed for appearance and size. It can then be resized and printed a few times to "get it right".

3.The image is then printed on decal paper (ink-jet or laser-jet).

4. The decal is trimmed to the desired size.

5. The trimmed decal is soaked in warm water for 30 seconds to release the decal from the paper.

6. The image is applied and allowed to dry.

7. The decal can be painted over with a clearcoat to preserve it ( laser jet decals only). This also helps to hide the decal edges.

Tips...

Laser decals work best. They are thermally sealed ( no ink to dissolve) and can be clear coated.
The decal paper also called "waterslide paper" can be bought online or in some hobby shops. There are two kinds, clear or a white background. Since I was applying them to a white painted background, I used the clear decals.

For a flat original (such as a dial) a scanned image works much better than a photo. You dont need to resize the image.

This type of decals is identical to model car decals that most of us are familiar with.

This is a good technique to duplicate the flower faces and bases of the fifties variety of schatz and kundos.

If anyone wants more details, please PM me. I will be glad to help.

I have added a few images below to show the steps.
original photo, cropped image, border erased, printed decal applied
thank you so much ! It is a great help :I will try it on my schatz 49 with roses to restore !

tnmechanic

Sep 10, 2008
Country
Region
Please note that the directions below are for the LASER jet decal paper.

The INKJET decals must be clearcoated and allowed to dry before soaking them in the water to remove the decal.

Details on the decal paper, and the instructions for both Laser and Ink jet material, can be found at BELLDECAL.com

For those that want a smaller quantity of sheets to get started try EBAY.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Excellent restoration, TNMechanic!! :thumb:

Interestingly, I have the same clock, but with a brass & black face.

John
Both of mine are like yours too, John. I like the twisted pillars and the three ball pendulum :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fezza74
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-