Clock Need mainspring, Admiral Sampson

Jimary

Dec 22, 2020
Country
I have a 1900s Admiral Sampson clock that has always been in the family that has broken its mainspring. My clock repair shop is having difficulty locating a mainspring. Any assistance would be appreciated in finding a replacement mainspring.
Jim

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Pictures of this movement would really help.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I have a 1900s Admiral Sampson clock that has always been in the family that has broken its mainspring. My clock repair shop is having difficulty locating a mainspring. Any assistance would be appreciated in finding a replacement mainspring.
Jim
Do you have the size of the spring? L x W x Thickness(strength).

Ralph

Jimary

Dec 22, 2020
Country
Do you have the size of the spring? L x W x Thickness(strength).

Ralph
No, and really not knowledgeable enough to attempt measuring. The clock is in our clock repair shop (this shop has worked on 2 of our antiques clocks for many yrs and trusted, but never ADM Sampson) so I don't have access for photos. Repair shop said they could replace the entire workings, I was hesitant since it was my greatgrandad's and wanted it original. Is works replacement my best route?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Is this one of the clocks with an image of Admiral Sampson stamped in the wooden crown top of the clock?

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I wouldn't let them replace the movement. On the spring, ask them what they are looking for in the way of a spring. They should be able to tell you the dimensions.

Ralph

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This sounds like the Welch SAW commemorative clock named the Sampson, So far as I know, it used a standard 8-day Welch movement. I don't understand the difficulty in ,locating a suitable mainspring.

Jimary

Dec 22, 2020
Country
This is the clock, yes, it has a 8 day movement and E.N. Welch on the key. Is there a source for the mainspring?

006.JPG

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This is the clock, yes, it has a 8 day movement and E.N. Welch on the key. Is there a source for the mainspring?

View attachment 629083
Unless there is something about the mainspring that makes it unique, I should imagine that a replacement could be found at Timesavers. I hope someone corrects me if I am misunderstanding something here.

Jimary

Dec 22, 2020
Country
Visited my clock shop today to get spring dimensions and they indicated they have located the mainspring and it is on order.

A sincere thank you to everyone who replied and offered to assist in this search, I look forward to seeing the Admiral Sampson back on my mantle.
Jim

Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
russian_sub_clock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff