Need Label for an Orrin Hart weight clock

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by TimelyFool, Apr 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TimelyFool

TimelyFool Registered User

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi. This is probably the wrong thread to post this question. I am restoring an Orrin Hart wood movement clock which is missing the label inside the case. I was able to find a photo of one on line but needed a lot of PhotoShopping to fudge details which were not in the original. See the attached. I suppose someone in one of the forums might know of a better source for downloading or to purchase a reproduction. I have tried contacting the guy on eBay (redlionclocks) but he does not have one.

Any ideas?
    Timely Fool

orrin hart label.jpg

2. Jim Duncan

Jim Duncan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Central Coast of California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TF - The label shown is much better than mine, which has rips, stains, and a large screw hole in it. All that sorta gives it a patina, or realism, but won't win any concours d'elegance prizes. If you want close-up photos of any sections just let me know.

Jim

3. TimelyFool

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Jim for the reply and your offer. Yes, I would be glad to receive photos of the areas of the label I had to PhotoShop fudge in. A you can see from the source photo I downloaded from the web (attached here) the missing areas I had to reconstruct or where I had to remove the coiled chime added by someone to superseded the original bell (around the eagle).

I should be able to closely match your label's aged surface and remove minor tears. When I am through I would be happy to share the results here posting at the highest resolution NAWCC's site will support.

Timely (Mike Boruch)

orrin hart label before photoshop reconstruction.jpg orrin hart label.jpg

4. Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike - I've attached a few shots of my label to see if they can help you. Your edited version looks pretty good already. The hole at the lefthand bottom of the arch seems common, so may be a factory hole. Let me know if there are any other areas needed, or closer detail wanted.

Jim IMG_2358.jpg IMG_2359.jpg IMG_2365.jpg IMG_2366.jpg IMG_2367.jpg IMG_2368.jpg IMG_2370.jpg

Jim DuBois likes this.
  5. TimelyFool

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Jim. Sorry for the late reply. It has been a busy week here as it is the end of a semester and my grades are due soon.

Your photos came through sharp and clear. Much sharper than the image I downloaded from an auction site. Will have to tone them down a bit to blend them in. But they are just what I needed to replace my clumsy reconstruction of missing areas in my original. Will get to photoshopping in the next few days and post the results.

6. TimelyFool

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I couldn't stop myself. Here is my repair, so far. Timely

orrin hart label repair.jpg

Jim DuBois likes this.
  7. Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How far are you going to take it with improvements? You did some nice work getting rid of the water stains. Don't get it too perfect or it'll be suspicious.

Jim

8. TimelyFool

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Jim-

Sorry for the late response. I made a couple of improvements to the Orrin Hart label I created with your help. Thanks again. (The final version is attached) I had OfficeMax make a copy to paste inside the clock.

After many experiments the best method I found to duplicate an aged sepia color for labels or a more delicate off-white for dials is to bring in to OfficeMax two files for printing: one with no detail but just the color I want for the background. And a second, a grayscale file, containing the black and white label information or for a clock face, the numbers, the company’s trademark, and the time track.

So, the final result would be sent through the printer twice. The first to print the color background. The second to add the text or the numbers.

Panel Images I create my own panel images for my clocks that often come to me missing their original panels. For these I have downloaded Americana-themed 19th c. illustrations from the Library of Congress and panels photos posted for clocks up for auction or other websites. Much time was put into enhancing and sizing them in PhotoShop. I must have over 20 pictures by now. It goes without saying that few of my images authentically graced the faces of American clocks made in the 19th century. I try to match my clocks with pictures made within the decade of their manufacture. I have to confess this is not always the case.

Here are three examples pictures. (Attached) The first will be used for the Orrin Hart clock. The second and third were used for an 8 day three panel half column / cornice Seth Thomas and for an 8 day double OG Forrestville.

I plan sometime soon to post many of these images on this forum for members’ use. These would be low resolution jpegs. If anyone needs a larger file, perhaps a tiff, they could contact me by email and I would send them the full resolution version. Most of my files do not exceed the attachment limit 15mb. I would also be happy to size images for members’. Send me the dimensions needed. For those fluent in Photoshop further tweaking is possible.

Freely offering my processed pictures is the least I can do for the support members of this webgroup have given me. Using pictures from the internet might be suitable for some clocks. I believe most if not all of these images are out of copyright protection. But since this is not for commercial use there should not be a problem.

On a different subject. You might remember this from an earlier posting I made on a different forum.

For the two 8 day weight clocks mentioned above, they were reconfigured so their weights are now externally hung with new cords and pulleys from a10 ft ceiling. This increased the weights’ effective drop to about 9 ft. With this arrangement I only have to wind the clocks about once a month. The cotton and gut cords which came with the clocks were saved, replaced with much longer nylon-coated stainless steel beading wire, the type Hobby Lobby sells for necklaces. The wires exits from the tops of the clocks through the pulley openings. Beading wire is MUCH thinner than the original cordage which could be restored to their clocks at a later time. In my earlier posting I mentioned using a thin 90 lb test Kevlar for the new cords. That was overkill, for sure. The switch I made to 20 lb beading wire reduced the cord diameter to about a fourth that of the Kevlar. The wire has proven strong enough for the 8 lb ~ weights.

You might consider doing something similar at home for one of your pet 30 hour or 8 day weight clocks.
    A heresy to for some, of course.

Timely

orrin hart label repaired.jpg Emilie Feustell 3 with border for orrin hart.jpg ladies for clock lable for ogee clock.jpg patti 8 x 9   1-8-18   for 8 day triple-decker without name.jpg

Jim DuBois likes this.
  9. Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TF - The "double exposure" technique is clever. I'll have to remember that one.

The panel images are great, with the clarity of the image of the woman in green is astounding! I can see why you are eager to use it. You are showing a real talent for image sourcing and manipulation. Nice work.

Jim

10. TimelyFool

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Jim for the compliments. Expect to have my collection of panel images posted for "party favor give-a-ways" soon. Michael (Timely)