Need info on Unmarked German Box Regulator

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Russell Dickson, Jan 31, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    9-290-1.jpg 9-290-2.jpg DSCN3911.jpg DSCN3912.jpg DSCN3913.jpg DSCN3914.jpg

Does anyone have any info on the Maker, and year of this german box regulator? I was thinking it might be a haas and sohne, but now that the movement is out it looks nothing like one?

2. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seems like I finally stumped the experts, thought for sure they would get this one for me.

3. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not really. We can do magic, but miracles take a little longer. :D

Show us the front side of the movement....

4. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was afraid you would say that. I just got it up and it is running great, but the movement is so dirty I am suprised it runs at all. I will pull the dial off later and post another picture. I would love to know exectly who the maker is.

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With so many German makers out there not a easy task to always id a clock, and so many did not put names or trademarks on their clocks.

6. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yeah you are right. I keep trying to see f I can stump Jurgen and Harold but I have not been able to do it yet.

7. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DSCN3966.jpg
    DSCN3968.jpg DSCN3967.jpg

Here are some pictures of the front of the movement, hopefully it helps in figuring out the maker

8. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to say I am a little disappointed that no one will even venture a guess as to what the maker of this clock is. I was thinking going by the dial and the pendulum maybe it was a becker?

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Patience, Russell. Jurgen is off on sick leave. As soon as he can leave his bed, I'm sure he will have a look. Anything on the gong block in the way of trademarks? My guess is Mauthe, just a gut feeling.

10. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oops I didn't know he was sick, I feel bad for being impatient. Mauthe would make sense, I bought for others from the same antique shop that are all very similar, but the back plate looks very different on this one, then the four other mauthe box regulators I have.

11. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am surprised no one has ventured a guess on this yet,

12. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did, Russell:whistle:.

13. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

True you did, I can always count on you :Dmy friend. I guess I will have to dig out some of my clock books and look it up myself.

14. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 soaringjoy, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    Yeah, go ahead and look it up! Happy hunting! :excited:

You guys are outrageous, you know that? I wish I had a dollar for every movement out
    there, I haven't seen before, from makers like Azura, Ebur, Suevia, the 3 Lauffers, the 3 Jauchs,
    Petersen, and so on... disgusting, it is! :}

No, I haven't found it yet. Russel, I'll have to see the whole rack, so put it up to it's resting
    position and try again, please. And the whole pendulum leader...
    Plate measurements in millimeters would help too. (height and width).
    I'm not quite certain, but it may be an early Hermle. The rack has 19 teeth?

15. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is ok, no body holds it against you. I have only been continuing to make little posts so my thread stays on top of the list and more people view it. if you don't keep posting the thread disappears down the list as new posts come in. It wasn;t to presonally raze you. No body knows everything, certwinly not me or i wouldn't be here so much talking to you guys. Thanks for trying

16. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The plate layout looks odd to me.

17. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah that is what threw me too. i was sure it was a philip haas and sohne, but not anymore. The makers of these box regulators were pretty prolific, so the mystery may never be solved

18. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's my genuine (weird) sense of humor, I didn't take anything personal. :D

Yes, it's indeed an odd shape of plates, along with some other details. That's why I need to see the whole
    rack with it's tail to verify a maker by any chance and the measurements.
    The pendulum leader is Petersen, but what I can see of the rack on your pic, that is a Hermle H 1.
    I do not know, if, or to what extent both firms where engaged with each other. It's possible though.
    Movements from smaller and lesser known makers or "oddballs" are not listed in the supplier's spares catalogues,
    so often you have to wait until you stumble across a marked specimen of the same movement.

19. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I'll get a better pic up as soon as possible, jurgen thanks

20. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Registered User

Apr 22, 2011
    Region Flag:
    Can we see a pic of the gong block, too? :)

21. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Ok no problem, I will try to get it on here tomorrow evening.

22. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Anyone able to identify this clock yet?

23. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see it yet?

24. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #24 eskmill, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Russell if you really want a well qualified identity for the clock based on the movement, you should provide the outside measurement of the plates in mm and the distance between the plates in mm plus the number of teeth on the count rack.

Most critical is a silhouette or clear photo of the count rack and the pendulum leader. Using the Rudolf Flume German clock repair catalog could possibly, using the data requested, provide the best possible identification.

For example, I have attached two pages from the 1957 Flume parts catalog that I scanned. There are hundreds of pages to stare and compare with your data beginning with the plate dimensions.

Without accurate and substantive data, identification is just a guess. It is likely of German manufacture.

Attached Files:

25. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russell, identification of unmarked clocks nearly always rests with mundane things such as photos of the inside of the case, the movement mounting bracket, the gong bracket, full front and back photos of the movement and possibly other details such as has been asked here.

Also, as an observation, the use of flash for detail photos is usually not very successful due to the "white-out" of glare and reflection from the object. Your photos can be much better by shutting off the flash and using a separate light source such as a table or desk lamp, placing it so the light isn't reflected directly back at the camera. I usually try to have two sources so they will cancel the shadows from each other.

We will look forward to seeing the gong base and other detail when you have the opportunity to post those photos.

26. soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Flume suppliers catalogues of 1957 and 1967 are a major source of information for
    movement ID, that much is true. Flume however had a strong tendancy to list only makers
    and parts that sold well and were in demand. Small companies or those odd companies with a
    life-span of a house fly were often not included.
    Then, many models are listed, yes, but the actual maker is not. (See example pages)
    Some movements are listed twice or more, say makers A, B, and C using an incorporate or even
    third party movement.
    Last not least, a few makers (like Hermle) bought the used machinery from other makers gone broke
    and thus compiled their own movements with parts of this and that...

Long story short, to be very sure about a certain movement listed in Flume, we need the complete rack,
    the complete leader, the number of rack teeth and the plates measurements in millimeters.
    Flume shows the plates for small clocks and alarms, but unfortunately not for the big ones....except some cuckoos (oh my).:whistle:

27. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    No, I do not know the manufacturer. But just like Jürgen I recognize a very close match to Hermle.

As we know, however (see the "Lexikon") Hermle started to make movements only in the 1930s, so Hermle is out, in my opinion, because the clock was made in the 1920s.

If the movement but match the Flume directory, then we have to guess, Hermle has bought the tools later, but the movement itself is not constructed by Hermle. And Hermle didn´t make this clock.

albra

28. binman

binman Registered User

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired formerly a carpenter then a site manager f
    Chatham England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I pulled my Mauthe movement thought it might help, The back plate is pieced not solid, are your other Mauthe Movements all the same, the look of the clock you would think Mauthe straight away , the pendulum and dial are the same as mine, what gong coil has it got.

29. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was thinking it was a Mauthe originally, but the back plate on the movement looks different from my other Mauthes. The clock certainly is an enigma. I will have to pull the movement and dial again when I get the chance and measure it and get better pictures as many have already suggested to get a solid answer.

30. Time4Clocks

Time4Clocks New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is definitely a Suevia clock but the name on the dial was rubbed out by someone trying to clean it unfortunately. Afraid I do not know the year.

Russell Dickson likes this.
  31. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You have posted to a thread which has been inactive for over 6 years. The OP may not see it.

JTD