Need info on old swiss gotham watch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by great finds, Oct 5, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. great finds

great finds Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi, I have been trying to find out some info on a old watch I picked up.I have been searching the net with no luck.Its a Gotham seventeen jewel, swiss, Deauville watch Co, unadjusted, antimagnetic, 10kkg, 2-20-9 GW , RS11 AF11 BB 23861 and looks like it has some kind of signed thing on the inside,can't make it out. Its very pretty it winds but does not work. Ladies dress watch. I think I found a old vintage watch ad with a pic on it and back in 1949.The price on the add was 163.00. Not sure if its the same one or not. Is this watch worth anything? Should I have it fixed? The glass on it is kind of cloudy. Any help or info? Thanks

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Hi great finds:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

Perhaps this thread should be moved (by the moderator) to the European & Other Pocket Watches Forum. It may receive more complete information from the experts who frequent that forum.

Meanwhile, it would be helpful if you could post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the watch case (you can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks), the clearer and sharper, the better. Clearness and sharpness is important as differences in makes, watch grades or case material markings can be subtle. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates.

It's also helpful if you can post (i.e., type out) all the markings that are inside of the case and that are on the movement, especially the movement serial number, in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

It might also help you you could post the 1940s ad, or if you don't have the rights to the picture of the ad and its online, post a link to it.

I'm sorry to say that as it is noted in the "No Value Requests" in the top menu bar, we do not discuss the values of horological items in the educational forums. Should you wish, once we have identified it as best we can, there is a valuation forum entitled “What do you think it is worth?” Click on the Value Seeker drop down menu on the Subscription Page to find the current fee for the use of this service. As an alternative, knowing the proper description of your watch (which hopefully we can provide) you should be able to use a Google Search to find similar watches offered by internet dealers, or on eBay, and see what they are selling for. Alternately, check the value in the Complete Price Guide to Watches, No 32, R. Gilbert, T. Engle and C. Shugart, Tinderbox Press, Mount Pleasant, SC, 2012. A new edition comes out each year in January or February, so ask for the latest edition. The book is available at libraries, at most major booksellers and online at the NAWCC Gift Shop (ask about the current edition). Condition matters! Also, a solid gold case instead of a nickel or gold-filled case will make a difference as well.

It sounds like this watch falls into the category where you should only have it fixed up if you particularly like the watch and would like to use it.

Good luck,

3. great finds

Oct 5, 2013
    Need help

Hi, I have been trying to find out some info on a old watch I picked up.I have been searching the net with no luck.Its a Gotham seventeen jewel, swiss, Deauville watch Co, unadjusted, antimagnetic, 10kkg, 2-20-9 GW , RS11 AF11 BB 23861 and looks like it has some kind of signed thing on the inside,can't make it out. Its very pretty it winds but does not work. Ladies dress watch. I think I found a old vintage watch ad with a pic on it and back in 1949.The price on the add was 163.00. Not sure if its the same one or not. Is this watch worth anything? Should I have it fixed? The glass on it is kind of cloudy. Any help or info? Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe the wrist watch forum would be a better choice...

The Gotham name was registered by a few companies over the years, according to Mikrolisk, including Emile Gisiger of Selzach (and later Biel), Switzerland, in 1921, as well as Ollendorf Watch Co., of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, and New York, (no date given). No mention of the Deauville Watch Co. engraved on the movement, but that may very well have been a marketing/retail label engraved by the jobber for marketing purposes. The presence of all of the engraving in English indicates this was almost certainly Swiss made for the American market, I'd guess by the style (as indicated also by the ad) from sometime in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century (1925-1950).

5. great finds

Oct 5, 2013
    Thank you for the info. Do you happen to know what the BB 23861 or the 2-20-9 GW means? Also, the 10kkg? I don't what all the stuff means.
    Thanks again..

6. great finds

Oct 5, 2013
    Thank you for the info.

7. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are the other marks in the case? Or on the movement? Are they hand-scratched, or machine-made?

If they are machine made and on the movement, they may be a mark of calibre (essentially size and/or grade designations). If they are scratched on the inside of the case, then they are more likely watch repair/service marks put there by a watchmaker in days gone by.

8. great finds

Oct 5, 2013
    I opened the watch on the back non- moving parts side.The flat back,I don't know what you call it. It has st 2-20-7or 9 can't make that out.Right below that it says c-w. Then it has a circle with BB 23861 JJ signed inside the circle. Then it has DW1006 on another spot on the back. These are all on the inside of the flat back side. The circle on is the dark and deep on that you can make out the best. they do not look machine stamped. Not like the stuff on the moving parts side.You can tell that, that is machined. That says swiss, seventeen,17 jewels,deauville,Dow,RS 11 and AF11. boy its hard reading this small stuff in here. I wish I could get a pic of the stuff on the flat side.

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Need help

You posted your question under Pocket watches and you have a Swiss lady's wrist watch.

These were generic products and the companies that made them came and went rather quickly.

I will move this to the wristwatch forum, but I would not hold out hope for very much information

10. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Again, if they are scratched in, I wouldn't worry about them too much, as they are pretty much useless without the specific watch repairer's log books. If they are stamped, they may be for a specific case maker. Only clear photos would help you get more input regarding specifics. Try using a macro or close up setting on your camera or phone to get better photos.

11. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The movement appears to be a generic FHF 60 caliber. This is a caliber that was produced in the millions by many different finishers, so it is not a rare watch. It was replaced by the caliber ST 69, which likewise has been produced in the millions. Suit yourself, but I wouldn't spend a penny on it, because equivalent watches that run, and are in better condition, should be available by the shoe box full, for small money.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&FHF_60

12. great finds

Oct 5, 2013

It says 10k on it. Where is the gold on the watch?

13. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

The 10k gold-filling is on the case. You might get a microgram or two of gold out of a ladies' case, but a scrapper will likely turn it away.

Glen

14. Michael Wittner

Michael Wittner Registered User

Mar 17, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a gotham watch 15 jewels I can't find the serial number

15. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Michael, you posted your question on a 7 yo thread with no pictures which is recommended. If it's easier for you to post this way, please also include complete clear pictures so that someone might be able to answer your questions.