Need info on a 18K 1/4 Pocket Repeater

pgram

NAWCC Member
Mar 12, 2011
Loiano, Italy
Country
Hi,
I have a pocket Repeater, marked PEGASUS. I cannot find any information on the Internet; can anybody help me to identify the maker and possibly the age?
Thanks!
Paolo Gramigna

Aperto ridotta.jpg Scritte ridotta.jpg Movimento Ridotta.jpg

Reactions: viclip

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I suspect, though I am not sure, that PEGASUS is the mark of R. Picard Fils, of La Chaux de Fonds, in Switzerland. I suppose the age might be around 1900.

Others will know better information.

JTD

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the message board, Paolo :)

Your second photo shows four medallions engraved on the cuvette. This is common where the watchmaker has been awarded a medal for a watch shown at particular expositions ... usually well-known international expositions. In your case, I assume that the banner says "medaille d'or" meaning "gold medal", and the date of 1895 then appears above two medals saying "National Exposition Bordeaux", and two other anonymous medals indicating France. There was indeed a national exposition in Bordeaux in 1895, and this would be considered a significantly lower grade than an international exposition ... and a gold medal would similarly be less important.

It is my opinion that a watchmaker might mark his watches with this information for no more than five years, since after longer than that a buyer might well ask himself why the maker had not won a medal at later expositions!!! If I am right, then your watch may date to anywhere between 1895 and 1900.

According to www.mikrolisk.de the name Pegasus was registered (as JTD has said) to R Picard and R Picard & Fils of La Chaux de Fonds in 1884 with the following trademark:

bildmarke_filsdepicard2.jpg

The name was registered again in 1894 with a slightly different trademark:

bildmarke_rpicard.jpg

It would be interesting to see if wither of these trademarks appears on the inside of the cuvette.

Mikrolisk also indicates that Picard registered the name Pegasus Regulator in 1899, implying that they were making a Railway Regulator watch which would therefore have been of a high level of accuracy. This may of course have been a pure marketing ploy, but if accurate then it would speak highly of Picard's manufacturing capability.

I hope that others will have better information on the maker, and may be able to discuss the quality of your watch.

Reactions: musicguy

pgram

NAWCC Member
Mar 12, 2011
Loiano, Italy
Country
Hi MartyR,
Thanks for your very useful information.
At least, I know something more about this watch!
The only marks that can I find are an 18K stamp, and another depicting a Lady's head, very similar to the one in the exhibition medallion.
The serial number is 60147.
Since it was stopped for many years on a drawer, I had it lubed and checked by an expert watchmaker, and I can say that now it runs well and keeps good time.
The repeater works as expected, and has a beautiful chime.
May I ask where can I have an appraisal of his value?
Is there any special section of this Forum (or any other right place) where I can ask for?

Marchio_ridotta.jpg 18K_ridotta.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
May I ask where can I have an appraisal of his value?
Is there any special section of this Forum (or any other right place) where I can ask for?
Yes there is. Scroll right down to the bottom of the forum page and you will find a section headed 'What's this watch worth?' You can ask your question there. But first, be sure to read the paragraph in blue and click on the link there to register for the first time.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javier B
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller