Need help with suspension

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by whatgoesaround, Jun 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are pictures of the suspension that goes with a clock I will soon be working on, discussed in a previous post. The problem for me is what to do with the flat piece in the bracket. First, I don't even know for sure if i can even remove it. It is secured by posts into holes in the bracket. I have pushed into the holes, hoping there was a pin, but it does not budge, like it is one piece, but it is free to rotate. At first I thought it was one of those I have read about that was a block that crimped onto the suspension spring. However, I have only one other clock with an example of this suspension and it does not have this flat piece in it. It looks as though the suspension spring is attached by being held by the tiny bar making up the bottom of the U-shaped piece.If someone could enlighten me on how to proceed, I would greatly appreciate it.

IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2101.JPG IMG_2109.JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't believe that part goes there. If you have Horolovars 400 day book, 10th edition, Section 15 has most of the brackets pictured. Find the one that matches your clock manufacturer to see how it should look.

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 KurtinSA, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    I'd say that the flat piece is a bit of a bodge...shouldn't be there. Looks like #18 in the guide is what you have. I think the piece with the round protrusion is supposed to fit into the top of the saddle. That other mangling piece isn't anything I've ever run across...maybe doesn't belong?

Kurt

Update: Ah, now that Eric posted, I recognize the odd shaped piece!

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is Huber bracket 15 as implemented by Kienzle (The repair guide shows the JUF variant). I believe this is what you have.

Bracket_15_Kienzle.jpg

The flag piece in yours does not belong and is probably held in place by part of a steel screw. If so you can dissolve the screw in an alum bath. Check it with a magnet. You'll need to remove the top part of the bracket before you place it in the alum bath. It is secured by the two screws shown on the right in my picture.

Hope this helps,

Eric

5. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to all who answered. Whoever put the piece in there must have flattened the ends of the fastener to the part in question. Thanks, Eric, it is indeed Kienzle and your pic certainly helps alot