Need help with small German balance wheel clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by THTanner, May 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a small (2 1/2 inch) round clock that is inserted into a hearth side match holder made of caste bronze - I think.

It runs well but needs a service. The main issue I am puzzling over is the regulating lever. It is completely loose and flops around freely if you turn the clock. It appears to have been bent at some point and makes almost no contact with the back plate. But before I try to bend it so it has enough friction to stay where you put it, is there perhaps a spring washer missing? There is very little distance between the level and the back plate, but I do have some tiny spring washers that could fit under there.

Also, the fork has an extended piece that looks like it is to be used to stop the movement in order to start it at an exact time? This can only be reached when the movement is taken out and partially disassembled, so it does not appear to be especially useful in this case.

Any idea of the maker and approximate age. The front plate is pinned and the maker's mark is on both plates.

thanks
    tom

IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3812.JPG IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3815.JPG IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3817.JPG

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do not recognize the maker. You may be able to loosen the balance screw on the front of the movement which will allow the balance screw on the back to be tightened enough to prevent the regulator from flopping around. Just make sure that there is room to shift the balance without causing a problem.

RC

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it's a Kienzle clock. The extension on the fork is probably a counterweight to balance the fork. I have seen similar on some old American lever clocks.

Uhralt

4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i also thought Kienzle from the mark.

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to all - with that suggestion I find that the mark is similar to Schlenker and Kienzle from about 1908 .

The extension on the fork certainly does provide some counter balance. It is bent to not hit the side of the casing and to not hit a pinion near it, but that most certainly is the result.

I will try a bit of shifting of the balance and see if the regulating lever tightens.

6. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 THTanner, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Next question - with a left handed screw on winding - what do you all use for a let down tool?

I used a slotted let down designed to slip over a generic winding key. Just wondering if there are other tools that screw onto these threaded winding arbors?

IMG_3818.JPG

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The good old piece of broomstick with a slot on top to accept the wings of the key and a bore to accept the key arbor.

Uhralt

8. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Get something like a piece of a wooden broom handle, bore a hole the size to fit center part of the key, cut a slot for the wing,

RC

Sorry Uharlt, we posted at almost the same time.

THTanner likes this.
  9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And the same proposal!

Uhralt

10. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks - I made a small wooden dowel version - then found the generic key let down in a box of tools I inherited from another shop. Both worked quite well.

The balance wheel shifted nicely and regulation is again possible.
    thanks RC

11. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This runs well at 240 bpm - 14,400 bph - and appears to be an 8 day movement.

Thanks for all the help -

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds good! I would be surprised if the clock runs for 8 days. I would expect maybe a couple of days. Let us know what you find.

Uhralt

13. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    so far about 40 hours and needing a winding soon - so apparently a 30 hour with a bit extra -

14. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's what I thought. The spring just isn't beefy enough for an 8-day with this kind of escapement.

Uhralt