• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

NEED HELP with Old Seth Thomas Banjo Wall Clock

Philadelphia1

New User
Aug 14, 2014
Philadelphia Pa
Country
Region
Hello Kind professionals,

I have an old Seth Thomas Banjo clock that has been in our family for several generations. Recently the clock stopped working so i took the back off to inspect. I immediately noticed that the chime mount was broken and was jamming the hammer on the back of the movement.

I am hoping you folks can point in a direction where i can find a threaded piece of copper/brass that is specially formed. Please see pics better understanding of what i mean. Please forgive my inorance concerning clocks and technical words.

We just love this clock and are hoping someone can help us with the piece we need. Your time and any help is greatly appreciated!

-Joe here in Philly

Attachments

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Several things come to mind. First I would determine the thread size. If it is a standard size that you can find a die for, you should be able to find brass rod at a local hardware store or hobby shop. Thread the rod and bent into a shape that matches the old. You might find all thread rod which would be easier but not as nice. I don't think solder would hold unless you can put a sleeve across the broken spot.

RC

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
What RC said.

You have a piece there that is long enough to actually count the threads per inch. Probably something like a 10-32.

A micrometer can be a big help, as far as selecting the stock to work with.

I would probably use steel. Brass is not as strong but much easier to thread. Some are steel that is painted gold.

Form the stock first and thread last. A welding supply shop is a great place to find the exact size stock, brass/bronze or steel. Sizes are usually in fractions of an inch, like 5/32, 3/16, 11/64" ... you can easily scrape off the flux from the welding rods.

Good luck, Willie X

Philadelphia1

New User
Aug 14, 2014
Philadelphia Pa
Country
Region
Hello Friends,

Wow. This seems a little out of my league. Never worked with a die before. I was hoping I would come across someone who might know where I could purchase this part rather than fabricate one on my own?

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
well you can start with what you have and measure the outside diameter, and then count the threads per inch, if you don't know what the size of the screws that you have.

scottmiami

May 14, 2014
Country
Region
If you have an old fashioned mom & pop hardware store in town, take the piece with you, and I'm sure they will find the thread for you. Show them what you need to accomplish, and I would bet they could come up the brass you need too.

Philadelphia1

New User
Aug 14, 2014
Philadelphia Pa
Country
Region
Hello Everyone....Thanks for all the replies!

I picked up a die set today and it has a gauge tool that determinds the thread count of my piece. Its 32 threads per inch. The diameter of the piece is 6/32.

Unfortunately i don't have any Mom and Pop hardware stores nearby, only big box stores. I went to Home Depot looking for brazing rods and the only thing they had that came close to my size (6/32) is a 1/8" bronze flux brazing rod. I googled a 6/32 brazing rod and cant find anything. Perhaps its an oddball size. I assume welding shops wont have that size either?

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
A 6/32 is the same as 3/16. And with a 32 thread per inch count, on an american clock, it is likely you have a 10-32 thread. You can verify this easily with any commonly found 10-32 bolt. Once it is verified, you can search "3/16 brass rod" on Amazon.com and find several low cost choices for stock to thread.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
What Randy said. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member