• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Need help with N size Howard Series III production date....Civil War?

robert jeansonne

Mar 3, 2012
Texas
Country
Region
Need some info from the Howard watch experts out there. I know the series III N size Howards (early ones) are hard to put a date stamp on, but I was curious to the cutoff date (approximately) of identifying a Howard in the Civil War era. I have one with serial number 9626, which is hard to pinpoint if it was produced before mid April, 1865 or not. It also has an E.Howard case (silver) and is in excellent condition. Was wondering if I have a pre or post civil war Howard timepiece. Any responses are welcome:confused:

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Howard watch movements did not leave the factory in strict serial order, but according to the factory records, movements 5,291 through 5,300 were completed in mid-August of 1864. I figure it would likely have taken at least a month or two, and probably longer, after being completed for a movement to get into a case and into someone's pocket. So since the last battle of the Civil War was fought in April of 1865, I'd say that serial number 6,000 would be a reasonable cut-off for Howard watches which could conceivably have seen service in that conflict.

Last edited:

robert jeansonne

Mar 3, 2012
Texas
Country
Region
Thanks so much! I'll try and get a photo of the watch on board ASAP...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank48
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-