Need Help with ITR Time Clock Day/Time Unit Dissassembly

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bates, Jul 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bates

Bates Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Hello,

i can't figure out how to remove the shaft from the date/time unit of a 1925 ITR time clock I'm trying to disassemble for cleaning. I've gotten most of the unit apart including the top part, which has the day, hour, and minute wheels, but I can't figure out how the shaft that turns with the lever is removed. It seems to have large pins which may used to hold it but I'm not sure that's what they are. If any have worked on one of these units before and removed the shaft, can you let me know how it can be removed. I've attached some photos that will hopefully help. The pins I'm referring to are not the cotter pins you may see in the photos. Rather, they are the round protrusions from the shaft.

thanks

Bates

2. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Bates

The protruding pins look like they run through the sleeve and shaft holding the two together. Measure the diameter of the end of the pins. If one is larger than the other that is a dead giveaway that the pins are indeed holding the two pieces together. If you are going to drive them out make a saddle to support the sleeve by drilling a hole in a piece of two by four the same diameter as the sleeve and then cut it in half. Drill a perpendicular hole for the pin so you can lay the sleeve in the saddle and drive the pin out.
    D~

3. Bates

Bates Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    D~,

You were exactly right. I was able to drive the pins out after some coaxing with a solvent to break down some of the dirt and oil that was encrusted around them. Your suggestion gave me confidence in knowing they were pins and in knowing which way to drive them.

Thank you very much

Bates

4. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Hi Bates,

Success! I love it when a plan comes together.
    You're very welcome, I would like to see some pictures when your work is complete.

D~