Need help with dating a Kundo Clock

CHPERRY

Oct 22, 2010
I acquired a Kundo Clock that has what I believe is a hand engraved serial number 91463 above the Kieninger Obergfell Stamp on the bottom of the clock. The casing is all brass, it has the pendulum but it is not in tact, the clock itself is has a green colored face and the same color on the stems that hold the platform it sits on. The front has what appear to be 2 frond etchings in the top left and right corners. Any information is appreciated...is it worth fixing? I attached a picture. Thank you. CHRIS 74444.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Welcome to the message board, Chris. I want to move this thread to the 400-day clock forum where it might get better exposure and a reply.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
CHPERRY;501079 said:
I acquired a Kundo Clock that has what I believe is a hand engraved serial number 91463 above the Kieninger Obergfell Stamp on the bottom of the clock. The casing is all brass, it has the pendulum but it is not in tact, the clock itself is has a green colored face and the same color on the stems that hold the platform it sits on. The front has what appear to be 2 frond etchings in the top left and right corners. Any information is appreciated...is it worth fixing? I attached a picture. Thank you. CHRIS
Chris, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board and the 400-Day Clock Forum. For us to do a good job identifying when your clock was made, and also to see what suspension spring will be needed, please post a photo of the back of the movement. If a suspension guard is there (a cover in the center of the movement that is either metal or plastic) please take that off before taking the photo.

You mention there is a pendulum but it isn't intact . . do you mean the pendulum itself or that the suspension unit (a special wire that hangs the pendulum in place) is missing? Again, photos will help, so one of the pendulum together with the back of the movement will help a lot to see what is needed.

Regarding the number scribed on the bottom of the clock, I suspect this might be when it was bought . . 9 - 14 - 63 or September 14, 1963. That certainly fits with the features of the clock. These clocks never had a number inscribed at the factory as far as I know.

I think the clock is well worth fixing. These are very attractive and good runners when cleaned up and serviced. If you have some clock repair knowledge already that will help a lot; if you haven't worked on a 400-Day clock before we can help with answers to your questions. Will look forward to additional photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller