• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Help Need help with clock identification

Paulo Franzen

New User
Sep 8, 2021
Country
Greetings everyone!
This is my first post in this forum.
I was asked to restore/repair this clock mechanism. The only identification I could find is the marking "PL 12" on the back plate. Does someone know what brand and to what epoch it belongs? I also suspect that the escape and maybe the anchor are not the right ones. I cannot even determine the type, it looks very much as a mantle clock, but depending on the escape mechanism, it could be another kind. If someone knows about it and is willing to help, I will be very grateful.

PI12 03.jpg PI12 09.jpg PI12 08.jpg

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
No Idea who made it, however the verge looks original, the EW does not, however it may still work okay. A quick test, take the leader off at the crutch, let the springs down and then put pressure on the wheel below the EW and see it it will advance. That is just the start, you have a lot of work to get it going.

Reactions: Paulo Franzen

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

The movement is likely German. PL 12 means Pendellänge (Pendulum length) 12cm.

I do not recognise the movement, so cannot say about the maker, but there are those who can, so hope they will be along soon.

JTD

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The "PL 12" marking means that the pendulum length is 12cm. That would make it a mantle clock.

JTD was just under the wire ahead of me.

Paulo Franzen

New User
Sep 8, 2021
Country
No Idea who made it, however the verge looks original, the EW does not, however it may still work okay. A quick test, take the leader off at the crutch, let the springs down and then put pressure on the wheel below the EW and see it it will advance. That is just the start, you have a lot of work to get it going.
It didn't go as it was, however, after some adjustment and improvising a pendulum it worked, but only for about 15 min. Also, one of the pivots of the EW is damaged, I didnt want to repair it until making sure it was the right EW.

Paulo Franzen

New User
Sep 8, 2021
Country
Welcome to the board.

The movement is likely German. PL 12 means Pendellänge (Pendulum length) 12cm.

I do not recognise the movement, so cannot say about the maker, but there are those who can, so hope they will be along soon.

JTD
Thanks for the welcome!
My calculations, if they are right, show that for a pendulum length of 12 cm, the EW should have only 31 teeth. However, the one that is there has 40, implying that the pendulum should be much shorter.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Something is wrong there somewhere.

Time for the ole stick & tape.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The EW works with the other wheels, and a lot depends on how they are geared. It would be possible to have a 40 tooth EW and compensate somewhere else.

Paulo Franzen

New User
Sep 8, 2021
Country
The EW works with the other wheels, and a lot depends on how they are geared. It would be possible to have a 40 tooth EW and compensate somewhere else.
Sure. However, the other wheels appear to be the right ones and I took them in account for my calculations. Just the escape wheel probable is from another clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeT
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-