Need help with Anakin

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Dael, Jul 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Dael

Dael Registered User

Dec 9, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hello guys,

This Omega ref 145.023 seems to be the one called Anakin Skywallker.

20r2uyb.jpg

33xtq2q.jpg

I have been looking around and it is a rare watch and just found few examples of them. Why I made this thread? If you take a closer look at the dial

wuqqua.jpg

You will see that it is described as a speedmaster and every Anakin I found on the web is a seamaster with two red subdials.

Now I want to make sure if the dial was replaced by another model or it could be an Anakin model for a speedmaster.

Note: Even if the watch looks great, collectors like us mind a lot about bad replacements.

Thanks you for any help here.

2. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shades of Chuck Maddox!! Awesome watch! GREAT FIND! Therer are several versions of this. wht is the exact model number on insde back of case??

3. Dael

Dael Registered User

Dec 9, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hello Jeff,

Inside the back case "145.023" it is described in the papers as "Metal ref.", "Mov. No/Werk No 32202671"

It looks original but my concern is about the dial. It is a chance that Omega can help me on this?

donqkl.jpg

2jew7pd.jpg

2eoit14.jpg

4. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doesn't look like any "Skywalker" I've ever seen. The dial looks like a modified Speedy pro dial. although it's difficult to tell from the picture. Is the watch yours?

5. Dael

Dael Registered User

Dec 9, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Its my friends and I told him the same that you said but he insists that it is all original, even though, he doesn't know much about it. We still discussing and one thing that I cant still find to finish the discussion is this same dial on a normal Omega Speedmaster pro, the markers dont match with the models I have seen.

6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Jeff Hess, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    color schematic on dial looks good. The red dial seems to have been used on the darkcased one.. the "Darth Vader". . Mr. Maddox gave these watches those names. You guys remember him? look him up. According to Neil Wood "Not for the timid, Anakin and Vader clock in at 44-millimeters and 44.5-millimeters in diameter, and 14-millimeters and 15-millimeters in thickness, respectively. It also features integral pushers and screw-down crown — without the latter, the Seamaster badge would make considerably less sense. Omega chose to go with hidden lugs, not unlike a number of their other references at the time. Although the strangely shaped case is par for the course for an Omega chronograph from the 70's, and the movement is the tried and true 861, there's just something about these examples that intrigue us and have created a cult following. The rarity of each is likely an influence, and nicknames certainly don't hurt the cool factor either."

I wonder if these dials can be switched of it they are proprietary. Or maybe it was refinished. (or hopefully you found a new variant! Calling all OMEGA experts!

Jeff

7. tedward

tedward Banned

Apr 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I don't care if it is a new variant, that watch is just fantastic! I adore the case shape, very reminiscent of the Rado watches of the 1970's. Or long ago in a galaxy far, far away...Yoda

8. Dael

Dael Registered User

Dec 9, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Looking again all pics my friend sent me, the back of case logo says "Seamaster" and having the correct serial number Im almost sure that the dial was replaced for an Omega speedmaster pro or refinished as Jeffrey pointed.

No doubt the watch is very cool and rare and thats why im helping my friend to find out about it. Is the refinished or the dial replacement a bad bad thing on this watch? I dont think so. It is a terrific, very nice looking timepiece, almost a treasure :D

Thank you guys for your comments and help.

9. captainscarlet

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Personally speaking, as far as "collectability" goes, I reckon the watch is nowhere near as good as a 100% original version. The dial casts doubt on the rest of the watch and we all know where collectors go when in doubt. On the other hand, Jeffs hopeful "new variant" theory would send the watch into the stratosphere :excited:
    I would assume, with your friend insisting the watch is 100% original, that he/she knows where the watch has been throughout it's life?

10. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Remember, I also posed the possibility that the dials were switched!

(that is the more likely answer)

Jeff

11. captainscarlet

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know that Jeff. It was just wishful thinking on my part:coolsign:

12. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not an Omega expert but tio does seem like an odd dial fit for a quick switch. Have you inspected the dial closely for signs of repaint?

Jeff