• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Need help with age and ID

cvanderslice69

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2015
Country
I picked this nice dual train clock up today. The "brand" on the face says "Trademark" and has a 'T' in the center of the circle. It has an old paper label on the back in what appears to be Japanese. I'm looking for some help identifying the age and origin on this one. My collection, >100 clocks, is all 1790 - 1950s American, so, I'm out of my element here. The wood appears to have some good age to it and the hardware implies early to mid 1900s. The clock is about 14 inches in diameter with a small door at the bottom to access the pendulum. Any and all help appreciated!

Jap_clock.jpg View attachment 460703

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
From the Japanese logo website, a T in the center of a circle is the Mizutani company. However, the barely legible logo on your picture looks to be more than that. Do you have a clearer picture of the dial?

Kurt

cvanderslice69

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2015
Country
From the Japanese logo website, a T in the center of a circle is the Mizutani company. However, the barely legible logo on your picture looks to be more than that. Do you have a clearer picture of the dial?

Kurt
Kurt, I found the logo searching. It is Tomoe. Trying to upload the image to this thread without much luck....

Tomoe trademark.PNG

cvanderslice69

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2015
Country
Kurt, I found the logo searching. It is Tomoe. Trying to upload the image to this thread without much luck....

View attachment 460704
I haven't been able to find anything out there to go with the logo except very modern stuff. Just keep hitting dead-end. Clock definitely has some age to it just from what I can see through the bottom access panel, the dial aging and the wood's patina. I know the patina on wood can be faked, but, the movement components definitely have some age.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Can you show pictures of the movement that suggest its age? Now sure why someone might do it, but the movement could have been substituted with something much older.

Kurt

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Uploading pictures from your pc via the from pc buttons works well, not so much the via url in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent