• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Need Help With A Standard Electric Time Company Clock

ratfinkharley

Dec 27, 2020
Country
Hello everyone.

First, allow me to introduce myself. My name is David and I live in Weston, CT. My aunt would collect clocks (slaves and masters) from schools in Providence RI. She was an artist and would create beautiful pieces.

She gave me Standard Electric Time Company Clock years ago. I had it repaired but it was too noisy for use in a home, so it was simply mounted on the wall, While moving, a part was broken. It is the part where the rod connects. The thin spring stell tore. Is there somewhere I can get this part? Or can someone repair this piece?

I appreciate any assistance.

PXL_20201228_011056386.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
timesavers.com should have it... take measurements with a set of calipers

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
sorry... it’s called a suspension spring. search on their site for regulator suspension springs. without seeing your clock you might be able to use the one for a seth thomas regulator 2, but they also have a beefier one for jewelers regulators... pls post photos?

ratfinkharley

Dec 27, 2020
Country
Bruce - thank you for all your assistance. I ordered the suspension spring from timesavers; both Seth Thomas #2 Regulator Suspension Spring and the Seth Thomas #2 Suspension Spring.

Here is a pic of the mechanism, clock, and one of the secondary clocks with my aunt's artwork.
IMG_20201228_165230234.jpg
IMG_20201228_165304681.jpg
IMG_20201228_165524776.jpg

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Those are splendid clocks. Next time, remove the pendulum prior to moving one. Note that the suspension spring's dimensions don't have to be all that perfect, so if something's unavailable, get something else that's roughly the same. You can even make one. Suspension springs have been fudged since their invention, and time still goes on.

M Kinsler

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
and, if the replacement is not identical to the old one, you will probably need to re-regulate the clock/pendulum slightly.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Looks like a mechanical clock with an electric winder. Probably winds a little on each full minute. A pic of the front of the movement at the escape wheel would tell more.

ratfinkharley

Dec 27, 2020
Country
If I only knew what was an escape wheel! But it does recharge every minute, which renders it not useful in a home environment. This is a shame because the clock master spent a lot of time on the restoration of the mechanism. Are there any options for running this clock that would reduce the noise?

The two suspension springs mailed today, so I'll be able to put it all back together.

IMG_20201229_153810009.jpg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Escape wheel is at the top with the sharp pointed teeth.
This video gives some good information on what you have.

Reactions: CJo

Echo The Husky

Dec 26, 2020
Country
You should set it running, I can sit and watch mine for hours. I have 4 master clocks here, 3 running, 2 impulse every 30 seconds, one every minute. It didn't take me too long to get used to all the clunking noises! 2 have been running for 12 months now, I love them so much. I slept in a hotel a while back, it was really strange not hearing the clocks when trying to sleep. :)

I did take some noise reducing steps on mine. Solid mounting on a stout wall will help a lot. I currently have them mounted on stud walls which greatly increases the noise but that's the only place I can house them at the moment. I have the voids between the back of the clocks and the wall all stuffed with bubble wrap to dampen the noise a bit.

The current to the solenoids has also been carefully adjusted so it is as low as possible while still reliably operating. Some mechanisms will have enough space to allow thin felt to be stuck to prevent metal parts directly hitting the metal solenoid faces. I have also slid a short thin piece of waxed lacing twine inside the extension springs to stop them annoyingly twanging like guitar strings when impulsing.

ratfinkharley

Dec 27, 2020
Country
When I get the new suspension spring, I'll plug it in and give a listen. It has been years (decades) since it was last running.

I'll be sure to try those ways to limit the noise. Buzz/slam is not soothing to these ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael L&M
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre