Need help to identify English verge fusee

skruff1

May 25, 2012
Hi i just bought this watch by "P.Woodford,London" and im trying to find out what year it was made, but had no luck.
If somebody here knows please help me :) :)

Attachments

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Most probably, 1791. The movement looks continental in origin, possibly Dutch. This based on the double footed balance bridge.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, Skruff :)

The hallmarks are for London 1791, and the casemaker was William Blake of 28 White Cross Street, London who registered the mark in 1788. I can't make out the hallmark just above the number 1367, but it should be the duty mark, the head of King George III.

I can't find any reference to P Woodford :(

Rogi

May 20, 2012
I love your watch :D the case is nice, the movement is nice, everything is just nice and awesome :) Great find and I hope you enjoy her :)

DaveyG

Mar 21, 2005
North Wales, UK
Country
To add weight to Ron's suspicion of Dutch origin, the arcaded dial and repouse case work would indicate, to me, continental manufacture. I would go as far as to say 'probably' Dutch, 'possibly' Swiss.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Ah yes, the repousse work :)

I agree that it looks continental - I suspect it's one of those allegorical scenes such as "Galahad leaving in search of the Holy Grail" or some such title. I can't make out the two figures on the left but they might give a clue. Very often these scenes were taken from French legends. The work does look fine, and you might also find (with the aid of a loupe and a strong light) the engraver's initials somewhere within the picture.

DaveC

Apr 6, 2009
Yes that surely looks like what they call a "Dutch fake". While it is antique, it was pretty certainly Dutch made and not English as is "signed" on the movement. I have one of those "signed" Sampson, London and it looks very similar. It is common to see these being signed Sampson, Tarts, Windmills, etc. Like was said the giveaway is the 2 foot balance cock, arcaded dial, and many of these have repousee cases like this one. Even though they aren't made in the country they claim they still can be nice.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
To add weight to Ron's suspicion of Dutch origin, the arcaded dial and repouse case work would indicate, to me, continental manufacture. I would go as far as to say 'probably' Dutch, 'possibly' Swiss.
The case has a pretty good-looking set of English hallmarks - are you suggesting that these are faked, Dave, or that the case was made in Holland/Switzerland and then assayed in London? In the 18th century did they have special import hallmarks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller