Need help to identify a German movement

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Andrew G., Jun 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I decided to restore a clock with this German movement. All pieces are there except a dial. I hope if I would identify the movement I could find online a look of the actual dial. The movement is unmarked. There is only a serial number - "6010". The mystery remains ...

The pendulum leader and the hook on the pendulum look very much like on Mathias Bäuerle movements (PEERLESS or Embee). It is hard to tell based on that. I hope someone has seen anything alike.

I would appreciate any comment that could help Id this movement. Thank you!

IMG_001.jpg IMG_002.jpg IMG_003.jpg IMG_004.jpg IMG_005.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks a lot like a Keininger to me.

3. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dave. I see what you mean. The chime mechanism looks similar. But all Kieninger movements I've seen before, they had different pendulum leaders.
    Thanks again for the clue! I will definitely research more about Kieninger.

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Andrew G. likes this.
  5. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    interesting... thanks again!

6. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finally, the movement is identified. Thank you very much to Tatyana for "out of the box" way of thinking, that lead into a correct reference.. This is an earliest Hans Winterhalder's Hawina movement - beginning of the production. Most likely it is made in 1919 (but no later than 1920). Tatyana also found a very similar longcase that almost matches the clock (see it in the attached picture). How I know how the missing dial should look like.

I did a search for Hawina in this forum and I was able to find a post with a very similar movement More information about Tallcase clock, Winterhalder Germany HWN
    Thanks everyone!

IMG_010.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  7. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This movement was identified as an early Hans Winterhalder (later Hawina) in previous posts. I did more research and I found that it is not likely HWN. So, I kept digging...
    I found a clock for sale in Europe that comes with exactly the same movement and gong. They claim it is early (1920) URGOS. Which actually sounds right, because I also found an early 2-weight URGOS movement with a similar pattern and exactly the same pendulum leader. I attach pictures of the other movement for comparison.

f1ab439741238b638c771d462d59.jpg 9a31a8314207bc92a7f2740d31aa.jpg ad0796c24941954a03aa6ff7e749.jpg fb109e9f45c286a5e214cb88b7fe.jpg

8. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Andrew,

I am a bit confused.

Earlier in the thread (Post #6), you state that Tatyana identified your movement, but there are no posts in this thread by Tatyana.

Please explain.

Thanks and regards.

9. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry for confusion. We had a discussion outside of this forum. Tatiata found a mechanism (it was not 100% conclusive) that had the same font for serial number in early HWN. I simply shared the knowledge.