• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Need help restoring Seth Thomas Adamantine that was painted over

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
West Hartford, Connecticut
Country
Region
Hello all, haven’t been active in a while, sorry about that,

Today I picked up this Seth Thomas Adamantine mantle clock. It is complete, original movement, it has all of the case ornamentation, (I removed them upon arrival so they didn’t fall off) label and besides the red looks to be rather untouched. I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice for how I could take off this red paint while still preserving the Adamantine beneath. I have a slow working paint remover that is not as harsh as most brands, and I was thinking about using it and applying layers over and
over until the paint has gradually been removed. There are a couple noticeable chips on the top where if looks like the Adamantine had chipped away underneath the paint but the rest of the case looks great. (This is probably why it was painted over in the first place). Thanks guys!

check out the mountain of dust on the inside of the case! I don’t think the back panel has ever been taken off from the factory.

Gage

A04A1887-4514-451B-B7D0-B683BB90532C.jpeg
AB6C2477-7709-4C9F-BF79-CB886A95524E.jpeg
BEB7F4B5-5D11-46B2-A94A-3BEECA32326B.jpeg
14D6BF6A-CD9A-47A2-A79A-04A25227B161.jpeg
6904100C-54C5-4579-A0E2-0B930E01E529.jpeg
19B435BF-D8CF-46B1-993E-A899C5A440AB.jpeg

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Hello all, haven’t been active in a while, sorry about that,

Today I picked up this Seth Thomas Adamantine mantle clock. It is complete, original movement, it has all of the case ornamentation, (I removed them upon arrival so they didn’t fall off) label and besides the red looks to be rather untouched. I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice for how I could take off this red paint while still preserving the Adamantine beneath. I have a slow working paint remover that is not as harsh as most brands, and I was thinking about using it and applying layers over and
over until the paint has gradually been removed. There are a couple noticeable chips on the top where if looks like the Adamantine had chipped away underneath the paint but the rest of the case looks great. (This is probably why it was painted over in the first place). Thanks guys!

check out the mountain of dust on the inside of the case! I don’t think the back panel has ever been taken off from the factory.

Gage

View attachment 699941 View attachment 699942 View attachment 699943 View attachment 699944 View attachment 699945 View attachment 699946
update: I took apart the top of the case and stripped the paint off. Here is what the top piece looks like under all the paint:

B0A57A7D-A99E-4412-A944-3E84ADD89517.jpeg
A9DF2C9B-7650-493E-AFEF-CF47116004FA.jpeg
27ABD899-692B-4B0F-9F5F-41336830166C.jpeg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
That's a lot of chips! I wonder if they started out as cigarette burns....:???:

Reactions: Kit L

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
I am not sure, I have worked with other Seth Thomas clocks that have had this similar issue with burn marks especially on the top. I am starting to give up on touching up the veneer though because I can’t see myself ever getting it looking decent enough for re sale or display. I am starting to consider taking off all the veneer on the top and just painting it black. What do you think?

Gage

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
I started taking the red off the bottom and it is cleaning off well though, the stripper does leave the adamantine feeling a bit sticky but after a thourough scrub with Murphy's soap and 0000 steel wool it looks good as new!

AC808356-9B61-4838-8261-E77412DED6F5.jpeg 3675A24A-DDA8-443B-9A95-5AFE46A73D65.jpeg

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region

Paul Arsenault

NAWCC Member
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
Country
Region
gage im not sure what you have planned for the top. my idea would not make the clock original but i would strip the finish off and use a good primer and give it several coats of high gloss black lacquer rubbing between each coat then finish with at least three coats of clear high gloss lacquer. do a final rub starting with 4x pumice then rotten stone. just a suggestion.

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
gage im not sure what you have planned for the top. my idea would not make the clock original but i would strip the finish off and use a good primer and give it several coats of high gloss black lacquer rubbing between each coat then finish with at least three coats of clear high gloss lacquer. do a final rub starting with 4x pumice then rotten stone. just a suggestion.
Hello Paul, I have been wondering how to address the issue as well. I had a Seth Thomad with this exact issue before so I ended up taking it all off and painting black, but that clock was missing way more of the Adamantine then mine. I think I will probably end up painting it black though because I have tried different tactics and it isgoing to be nearly impossible to patch/ repair the missing Adamantine and get it anywhere near where I would be satisfied with it. I have a good method for repainting the top to match black Adamantine because of my previous experience and it involves doing coats back and forth of semi glood black and gloss clear spray paint, with lots of high grit-sanding in between. I will be sure to share the final result here regardless of what I choose to do. Thanks again for your input.

Gage
This is an eBay find. i disassembled the case, washed it with paint thinner then sanded with 320 grit and refinished all the parts separately as i described above. the dial has new paper.

View attachment 701053
Good work!

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
This is an eBay find. i disassembled the case, washed it with paint thinner then sanded with 320 grit and refinished all the parts separately as i described above. the dial has new paper.

View attachment 701053
I lucked out on the dial with this clock. I only had to rub off some of the red paint from the edges and give it a good polish with brass cleaner. One of the mounting holes had been soldered over for some reason because of the previous repairs, so I managed to lightly clean out the solder to reveal the original brass-screw hole which was fine condition under the solder.

Gage

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
The case is all done Paul, and I decided to go with your idea. I took all of the Adamantine off the top and I repainted black. Movement is now completely stripped down and cleaned, just need to reassemble. What do you think?

Gage
6A88A10B-6DE6-4110-896B-937F30FA3132.jpeg
600D05D1-DF06-441C-8AC1-5C4F71A77FFF.jpeg

Reactions: Dave T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit