Need Help Removing Hour Hand from Small Movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bates, May 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Bates

Bates Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Hi, I was going to try to service this small movement but I ran into a problem removing the hour hand. It seems that just pulling off the hour hand is not the right way to remove it as the hole in the hand seems to be smaller that the end of the arbor. Has anyone worked on a movement with a similar setup? There is no makers mark on the movement or the clock that I can tell. I've worked on similar Waterbury movements but the hour hand came off on the normal fashion if I remember right. This hour does not seem to have a collar like the hour hands on most clocks that slides over the center arbor.

thanks in advance for your help.

Bates

2. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Can you remove the dial and have the hour pipe come off with it? That might allow you to see what's got such a death grip on the hand.

3. Bates

Bates Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    I don't think so. There doesn't seem to be an hour pipe (what I was calling a collar in my original post I should have called the hour pipe). The hand is lose on the arbor now. I probably did something I shouldn't have in pulling on it. It is now loose on that arbor but the hole in it is too small to pass over the end of the arbor.

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    What is holding the dial to the clock?

5. Bates

Bates Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    The dial is basically held to the movement by the glass and bezel. It fits on the movement via three small posts that fit into holes in the dial. Without the glass and bezel there is nothing holding the dial directly to the movement, but I can't completely remove it because the hour hand is larger than the center hole in the dial. I've included another photo in case that helps.[​IMG]

6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    Maybe the hour wheel is held down by a cock. It is going to need to be repaired anyway, the hand at least. I'd probably cut the hand off and repair it later.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Bates,
    I think that knob on the end is a pressed on center collar for the minute hand?
    Willie X

8. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    Yeah that is what he has done, he's pulled the minute hand off it's collet, and the hour hand has no collet, it's just a press fit directly to the hour pipe.

If he owns a pair of smooth jaw parallel pliers, a bit of a squeeze on the minute collet will stretch it a bit and it will come off, no need to cut or destroy anything.

9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes that sounds correct enough. The minute hand collet should pull off OK.

10. Bates

Bates Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Thank you daz57, roughbarked, and especially Willie X - that is exactly what the problem was. I was able to remove the collet fairly easily. I guess the lesson learned is to be more careful in removing the minute hand. A hand puller may have worked good but the one I have was just slightly too large. Any thoughts on the best way of reattaching the collet to the hand would be appreciated. My initial thought is loctite although maybe nothing will be necessary, just use the original friction fit.

Thanks again, you got me out of a jam.

Bates