Need help removing 8-day Swiss PW Spring

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by bchaps, Oct 16, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bchaps

bchaps Registered User

Dec 16, 2001
    Mountain Top, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got a friend's beautiful table clock to clean. It's powered by an 8-day Swiss PW movement with a larger than normal spring. Problem is the movement had been dunked in the past WITH the spring barrel in place. I saw a puddle of green gelatin beneath the barrel and all suspicions were confirmed when the barrel cover was removed...more green goo!

Problem is my Marshall spring winder is not large enough to handle this spring. Although manual spring insertion is normally frowned upon, do I have any alternatives?

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Necessity for inserting a spring manually happens once in a while. Thoroughly wash the hands to eliminate vestiges of acids, perspiration, etc, and lightly oil or grease the fingers. Then use only enough pressure to "coax" the spring into the barrel so you reduce the likelihood of distorting the spring, or "kinking" it.

3. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    Whenever I have to handle parts - like inserting a spring by hand - I wear nitrile surgical gloves. They are the purple ones. They don't tear as easily as latex gloves, and the oil on the parts does not affect them. I buy them at my local pharmacy, but usually have to ask at the drug counter for them. For some reason, they don't usually keep them out on the shelves where just anyone can pick up a box.