1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brett M Pariseau

Brett M Pariseau Registered User

Dec 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just aquired this A. Frankfield antique cuckoo clock today. It is the first one i have ever owned of this style.Having the bellows recovered and i have fully serviced it. Trying to find the missing moulding piece at the top inside peak of the clock. What is the name of the design wood that surrounds the clock so i can further search for it.

20181209_155432.jpg 20181208_194552.jpg 20181208_194544.jpg

wcampbell likes this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clock. I have heard the term Railroad cuckoo, but no idea what it means.

3. Brett M Pariseau

Dec 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    They were built to replicate the look of the old german train stations back then. This is my first one ive ever owned and i love it. I want more like these lol.

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

As far as I know there is no particular name for this pattern. However, if you approach some of the marquetry supply houses you will likely be able to find a very similar pattern. There used to be a very good firm, Constantines, in Eastchester Road, Bronx, NY, but I have heard they may have relocated. They sold dozens of patterns of banding.

You can also google 'marquetry inlay banding' and a lot of sites will come up.

Hope this helps.

JTD

5. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Brett, I have restored about six of these Cuckoo clocks and working on two more and yes they are called Railroad Cuckoo Clocks. They were designed in 1850 by a railroad architect who won a design contest at the clock making and repair school where he was a student. The designs were after the small railroad side track houses found at the German railroad crosings. The designs evolved from there. You can find a lot of history and information on these clocks by Googling, "Railroad Cuckoo Clock". You would be lucky to find the marquetry piece you are looking for anywhere. Sometimes they appear on eBay but not often. Most of the makers had their own marquetry pattern and changed them often. There are companies who have the banded inlay marquetry, you will need to search the internet to find the suppliers. Try companies who supply material for the building and repair of musical instruments such as guitars, and banjos. Besides the missing piece of inlay banding you are also missing the small block of wood that goes in that top corner. There is also a carved pattern piece like the one on the right top corner that is also missing. Only way I know of to replace these is to make them yourself. There is a Constantines in Ft Lauderdale, FL. that has inlays.

Brett M Pariseau likes this.
  6. dgmcrm

dgmcrm Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Hi Brett: I have five of the railroad style clocks in my project backlog. I examined each of them and discovered that in no case does the pattern of the inlaid decoration under the eves of the roof match the pattern on the vertical inlaid decoration on the front of the clock. That said, I have seen the inlaid strips on eBay salvaged from other clocks. It might be that there was really never an intent to produce clocks with an inlay pattern under the roof-line that matched the other decoration. One of my clocks does not have inlay under the roof-line, but it does have wood trim cut in what looks to be a VVVVV pattern.
    I hope this helps. Or you can try this web site: Inlay Banding for Furniture and Flooring

7. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brett, I checked my clock tops as well. Mine have a variety patterns under the roof eves. Several have the same pattern as the vertical pieces but cut in half down the center. Several have a "M" pattern like a saw blade. I also have one that is a square cut pattern. So there is a variety of patterns you can use and still be within the historical style of the clock.

8. Joe Jones

Joe Jones Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 23, 2004
  9. Brett M Pariseau

Dec 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I do have the original piece for the left corner i just dont have the block to glue them together.

wcampbell likes this.