• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Need help on Hermle 1161-053H

Dennis46

Dec 25, 2005
I have a grandfather clock with a Hermle 1161-053H (114cm) movement which does not run. Where can I find information about repair of this movement? It was purchased in the mid-70s and is in a rosewood case. I did a search on the forum which did not result in many threads on this movement.

I read about other 1161 movements and discussions about repair vs replace decisions but I'm not to that point yet. I am still trying to figure out why it won't run. It stopped working before I got interested in working on clocks as a hobby and I did not know enough to determine why it would not run.

Can you move the trains by hand on this movement (like on a T/S mantle clock without the springs) when the weights are removed? Do I need to put the weights back on to try to diagnose the problem?

Any information will be appreciated

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have a grandfather clock with a Hermle 1161-053H (114cm) movement which does not run. Where can I find information about repair of this movement? It was purchased in the mid-70s and is in a rosewood case. I did a search on the forum which did not result in many threads on this movement.

I read about other 1161 movements and discussions about repair vs replace decisions but I'm not to that point yet. I am still trying to figure out why it won't run. It stopped working before I got interested in working on clocks as a hobby and I did not know enough to determine why it would not run.

Can you move the trains by hand on this movement (like on a T/S mantle clock without the springs) when the weights are removed? Do I need to put the weights back on to try to diagnose the problem?

Any information will be appreciated
30 years is about average on this movement. Probable cause of stopping is lack of power due to wear on the bushings (pivot holes). Yes, you can apply pressure on the wheels to activate the cycles. You'll probably need to dismantle and rebush (the process is the same as any 3 train clock) and be sure to check the pivots, as often they are plated. When the plating is gone, so is the wheel and would require repivoting. I generally try to repair these movements, but you might want to consider a replacement movement.

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I agree with Shutterbug, except on one point, and that is, I believe the life expectancy to be an average of 20 years, and/or less. But that is my opinion, based on my experiences.
You did not note which train was not going, I shall assume the time train. With weights removed, and observing the back of the movement first, use your thumb to rock the first wheel (winding drum) back and forth and observe if any pivots are rocking back and forth in their pivot holes. If they do, you have wear there. Check the front also for the time train, and check the pivots the same way. With your thumb and finger, grasp the two cams on the chime train, and rock in a North-South, and East-West direction. Any movement there and/or clicking while doing that, and you have wear there also. On the strike side, do the same to the gathering pallet, any slop, you have problems.This is how I check them while in the customer's home, and then I show that to them so they can see it for themselves.
To sum it up, in my opinion, if you have the above problems, get a new one. It'll save you trouble down the road. FWIW.............doc

Dennis46

Dec 25, 2005
I did a visual inspection of the front and back plates while applying pressure on each train in alternate directions. I did not see any excessive movement of pivots in any of the trains. Even though this clock is 30 years old, it has not been used/run all of that time. I still have trouble getting the trains to turn as though the movement is "locked". Do you know of any books which have pictures or drawings about how this movement is supposed to run?

Thanks for the help.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Dennis, is what you need a basic clock repair book? This movement runs like just about any weight driven movement. I don't know of any repair books specific enough to Hermle to be of much help to you, although you could try the Hermle Repair Manual, available from most parts suppliers.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
The only way to get this movement running properly again, is complete disassembly, cleaning, bushing, reassembly, oiling and adjustment. This movements are still being made, order a new one and swap it out.

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
For your perusal, then......................doc

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I did a visual inspection of the front and back plates while applying pressure on each train in alternate directions. I did not see any excessive movement of pivots in any of the trains. Even though this clock is 30 years old, it has not been used/run all of that time. I still have trouble getting the trains to turn as though the movement is "locked". Do you know of any books which have pictures or drawings about how this movement is supposed to run?

Thanks for the help.
The center train is your time. You can activate it with the pendulum leader while applying pressure. Right side is chime, activate by lifting the long lever on the front of the movement while applying pressure to the large wheel. Other side is strike. You can activate it by releasing the rack while supplying power. The trains are 'locked' until activated.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Most often, congealed and hardened grease applied at the factory is the problem. As others have replied - first dismantle, SCRUB, assemble, and re-test. This hardened debris robs the movement of power - especially the time train.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You often find little Gems like that on this board. I always grab them for my records and am getting quite a collection :) I'd recommend that everyone do the same. Save's lots of searching later!

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country