• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Need help on anniversary Clock

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Columbia, S.C.
Country
Region
I am trying to restore a Kundo anniversary clock and need a little help. First of all, the pendulum does not have a regulating wheel like I have seen on most torsion clock, so is this just missing or is it supposed to be this way? Also how do I figure the thickness of the spring I need? Also on the spring guard there is a moveable piece that fits over the pendulum. What is this for . I am trying to learn about these clock, so I appreciate any help.I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks!! Thanks very much. IMG_2853.jpeg IMG_2851.jpeg IMG_2854.jpeg IMG_2852.jpeg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
You are missing an adjustment wheel on the top of the pendulum. And If I'm correct, this is plate #1375 in the Horolovar 400 Day Clock Repair guide, which uses a 0032" (.081mm) spring.
Kundo pendulum.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The configuration of the top of the pendulum is for clocks that have a locking plate, which yours does not have. So, I would say this pendulum, even if it had the rating nut is not the one for your clock. Please excuse the dust. I haven't yet gotten to this clock, but it was the nearest at hand that had the locking plate and proper pendulum.
IMG_5138.JPG IMG_5140.JPG

Last edited:

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Perhaps the pendulum was for a battery anniversary clock and is not missing a rating nut, since one is not needed on those clocks. I have a couple with brass pendulums before they went to plastic.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
It has a plastic bottom block also. It's probably a spring that was robbed from a battery clock.

Reactions: eemoore

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Columbia, S.C.
Country
Region
The configuration of the top of the pendulum is for clocks that have a locking plate, which yours does not have. So, I would say this pendulum, even if it had the rating nut is not the one for your clock. Please excuse the dust. I haven't yet gotten to this clock, but it was the nearest at hand that had the locking plate and proper pendulum.
View attachment 656871 View attachment 656872
Thanks for your reply, but would the pendulum fit so nicely into the ring on the spring guard if this was not the correct pendulum. Is it possible that the locking plate is missing and ,thus, this pendulum is correct; appreciate your help. IMG_2857.jpeg IMG_2855.jpeg

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Columbia, S.C.
Country
Region
You are missing an adjustment wheel on the top of the pendulum. And If I'm correct, this is plate #1375 in the Horolovar 400 Day Clock Repair guide, which uses a 0032" (.081mm) spring.
View attachment 656870
Thank you very much. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the back of your clock so I can see how the spring fits onto the pendulum. Also does the spring guard have a ring /lock that the pendulum fits into. A picture would be great.Thanks again.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Without a rating wheel, you would not be able to rate the clock. From what I can see, your pendulum never had one. If yours was simply missing the wheel, we would see a threaded rod under the hook. Almost all configurations of the hook will fit under the spring guard. Your clock looks like a standard Kundo. The pendulum for the standard frequently comes up for sale. If the moderator would move this post to the 400 day forum, you will get more opinions and advice on your clock from many experts.

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Columbia, S.C.
Country
Region
Without a rating wheel, you would not be able to rate the clock. From what I can see, your pendulum never had one. If yours was simply missing the wheel, we would see a threaded rod under the hook. Almost all configurations of the hook will fit under the spring guard. Your clock looks like a standard Kundo. The pendulum for the standard frequently comes up for sale. If the moderator would move this post to the 400 day forum, you will get more opinions and advice on your clock from many experts.
Thank you again. Yes the hook screws off and the rod is threaded under the hook! So maybe the rating wheel is just missing. I will try to post on the 400 day forum for parts. Appreciate your help.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I moved the request over here, so no need to re-post it :)

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
I have one early kundo with the same style spring guard and pendulum retainer. Looks like your missing the odd little hat shaped lower suspension spring block that fits perfectly into the retainer loop. Your pendulum has the configuration of the modern pendulum retainer and seems to be configured as a fixed pendulum.

20200919_081924 (2).jpg

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Columbia, S.C.
Country
Region
I have one early kundo with the same style spring guard and pendulum retainer. Looks like your missing the odd little hat shaped lower suspension spring block that fits perfectly into the retainer loop. Your pendulum has the configuration of the modern pendulum retainer and seems to be configured as a fixed pendulum.

View attachment 657003
Thanks so much .This is very helpful. I am starting to believe this pendulum is not the one that belongs to this clock. I appreciate everyone's help and patience with all of my questions. I might just look for a replacement pendulum and lower block that is correct.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I truly believe the pendulum you have is for a battery anniversary clock. I think you are on the right track to look for a proper pendulum and lower block.

Marineta

Jun 21, 2021
Country
Thank you very much. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the back of your clock so I can see how the spring fits onto the pendulum. Also does the spring guard have a ring /lock that the pendulum fits into. A picture would be great.Thanks again.
I am trying to restore a Kundo anniversary clock and need a little help. First of all, the pendulum does not have a regulating wheel like I have seen on most torsion clock, so is this just missing or is it supposed to be this way? Also how do I figure the thickness of the spring I need? Also on the spring guard there is a moveable piece that fits over the pendulum. What is this for . I am trying to learn about these clock, so I appreciate any help.I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks!! Thanks very much. View attachment 656848 View attachment 656851 View attachment 656847 View attachment 656849
Hello, I just fixed the spring on my Anniversary clock and it looks just like yours. It is .032". I had to buy the book for 400 Day Anniversary clock repair, compared the back plate and they have a diagram to match the length of the spring and detailed info on the repair of the clock. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the name of the book here. Anyways, here are pictures of mine:

20210606_153717.jpg 20210531_161431.jpg 20210531_161520.jpg

UncleDoc

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2020
Colonie, NY
Country
Region
Hello, I just fixed the spring on my Anniversary clock and it looks just like yours. It is .032". I had to buy the book for 400 Day Anniversary clock repair, compared the back plate and they have a diagram to match the length of the spring and detailed info on the repair of the clock. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the name of the book here. Anyways, here are pictures of mine:

View attachment 659919 View attachment 659920 View attachment 659921
Is the book green? See what the ridiculous policies on this board create? LOL.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Nothing wrong with mentioning the books helpful to the repair of these clock. I believe the book in question is the 400-Day Repair Guide by Charles Terwilliger. The latest addition is the 10th. It contains to-scale drawings of most back plates as well has layouts of the suspension springs. It also shows examples of pendulums used...it's not complete, though. Section 7.0 of the guide has an in depth discussion of how the dead beat escapement works.

Kurt

Reactions: Marineta

Marineta

Jun 21, 2021
Country
Nothing wrong with mentioning the books helpful to the repair of these clock. I believe the book in question is the 400-Day Repair Guide by Charles Terwilliger. The latest addition is the 10th. It contains to-scale drawings of most back plates as well has layouts of the suspension springs. It also shows examples of pendulums used...it's not complete, though. Section 7.0 of the guide has an in depth discussion of how the dead beat escapement works.

Kurt
Yes! You are correct thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-