need help in repair of pocket watch

treble

May 29, 2013
in need of repair of old pocket watch made by Ferdinand Berthoud?
live in south texas.
watch is wound but runs only a few seconds and stops?
any and all suggestions welcomed
thanks

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi treble, and welcome to the Forum,

I'm sure you'll get some help here, but we really need to see pictures of your watch, especially clear close-ups of the movement and the case surfaces for any marks. Ferdinand Berthoud is a famous name; he was working in the late C18th and early C19th and was Clockmaker to the French king, amongst many other honours. Like many other great horologists, his name was often used by others not entitled to it, to deceive the unwary, so pictures are important!

Regards,

Graham

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Welcome to the forum...

I believe you have a verge movement in that watch and these are a bit different to modern watches. Not every watchmaker knows how to fix these so make sure you get help from someone with experience....

The first thing to do is to have the watch disassembled, cleaned and the parts inspected. Then assembled and oiled. If that does not get it going you need to start looking for what's wrong.

It can be anything from simple dirt, old oxidized oils, some foreign object or an adjustment of some parts to a broken mainspring, a bent/bad wheel, damaged balance, hairspring or a broken pivot etc. What I am saying is that unfortunately it is impossible to say without examining the watch....

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi treble,

Thanks for the pictures, but unfortunately they're too small to tell much. You can post much larger images here without a problem, at least 5 times bigger. It does appear to be French.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luc1lle160
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller