Need help identifying this tool/device, maybe clock spring tester ????

Silver Chips

May 30, 2021
Country
Need some help identifying this tool, No clue what it could be; I have have asked others with no progress but thinking someone here should be able to identify its possible use in life? Could it be some type of clock spring tester or ?

It has a "Waters torque watch gauge", measuring very light ounces per inch (.005- 60 oz.in) with a keyless chuck holding a wire silver brazed onto a pin held by the chuck, appears to be a A-F watch movement vise mounted to base plate. Waters Co. only makes the spring dial tester that you see on top and was incorporated into this device. The overall height is 9". The base is numbered so thinking it wasn't shop made?

Any clue?

I picked this up last month as I was intrigued with it, it came along with some other interesting tooling. Several very high end Starrett Webber carbide 6" long gage blocks, a bunch new old stock Smiths airline acetylene welding handles & tips, watchmakers Bergeon staking set and KDK tool post holders were all included in the box of items.

51092750644_fc7b170575_k.jpg 51092673911_e8730dd194_h.jpg 51092673101_7f63820ae2_k.jpg 51092784187_e9a19bc620_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i fixed your images for you... it's best to upload them here rather than link to an external site.

google 'torque watch gauge' and all will be revealed.... doesn't have anything to do with clocks. :)

Silver Chips

May 30, 2021
Country
Thanks Bruce,

I noticed it didn't like using linked online photo albums and changed it to uploaded pics but you beat me to it while I was doing it, you're fast!

Thanks for the suggestion and know what a torque gauge is and I had previously googled and read info but it still didn't reveal much info other than the torque gauge can be used in various industries including the watch making industries as seen in this YouTube vid., showing it being used handheld on watch movement production line.
Still it didn't reveal anything like what I acquired and it has the watch movement vise mounted to it and what looks like a watch spring attached to the long piece hanging down from the chuck and it came with a Bergeon staking set (which was quite nice).

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members