Need help identifying this movement...

jln319

Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area
Country
Region
Well, for my first post I need to ask for help. I just found this site and what a wealth of information. I recently acquired this watch. It runs and keeps time but there are no maker marks on the movement... I've looked at pictures of what seems like hundreds of movements on the web but haven't found one that looks like this... The face has Brodegaard & Lanktree Omaha, Neb. I did find out that Brodegaard was a jeweler in Omaha around the turn of the century. Also heard he was an inspector on the Union Pacific. Not sure if it's the same person. Nothing on Lanktree. Can anyone help Identify this movement? It is a stem wind lever set. Thanks for your time...

203.jpg

204.jpg

jln319

Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area
Country
Region
Really, an Illinios watch company. Thanks! I just checked the serial number that puts it around 1902-3, I think. Why wouldn't they put their name on the movement?

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
A "Getty model. Mr. Brodegaard was a good speaker and a good repair man who handled his customers (and his watches) with respect. He was a rather large man and worked very closely with Webb C. Ball and the Union Pacific.

Many companies made watches for "Private Label" purposes.

Jeff Hess

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Illinois Model 4(Getty) model gr. 185-one of 7,060 made in this configuration between 1899 and 1910. You're missing the regulator whip spring.

That looks like a nice signed double sunk dial that you have.

As for not putting the name on the movement-I'm not sure of the reason, but in my experience it was not uncommon from this period.

Here's a somewhat similar gr. 187, which is equally as sparse

103.jpg

jln319

Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area
Country
Region
You guys are the best. Thanks very much! I had to look up a regulator whip spring but I see where it belongs. Now that I have something to go on... I need to do some research... I can already tell this is going to be an addiction... Thanks again!

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi jln319:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

In addition to the good information posted by Jeff and Ben, you may be interested in the following Encyclopedia articles:

Illinois Watch Company
Keystone Watch Case Co.
Private Label Watch

Unless you know that it has been cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,

jln319

Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area
Country
Region
Hi Kent,

Thanks for the info and links. So much to look at. I appreciate the help.

-jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustaKevin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller