Need help identifying the trademark of movement clock

WIEN

Oct 15, 2016
Country
Please help me to determine the brand name of this clock movement.Strike hours occurs two times.This occurs with a delay of two minutes.I originally thought that the movement has a problem but then looked at the part and all became clear to me.This is the fifth tooth plays the role of the tutor.Perhaps someone has some information about this.I will be very grateful for such information.

IMG_20180706_141612.jpg IMG_20180706_141409.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Yes, you are correct, the clock is supposed to repeat the strike, the second time two minutes after the first, in the style of a Morbier clock.

Le Creusot is a small town in eastern France and Jolivot was no doubt the name of the retailer. As to who made the movement, I am not sure. A number of French manufacturers had a similar basic logo, but none I can find with the initials FR&R. The movement bears quite some similarities to ODO movements, but I am not able to say if this is one of theirs.

I suspect the hands are not original. I would guess the clock to date from late 1930s. Other may have more information.

JTD

WIEN

Oct 15, 2016
Country
Thank you for your time and information.
Really no one can affirmatively say the name of this trademark FR&R?

Walt Wallgren

NAWCC Member
Aug 16, 2012
Bay Area, California
Country
Region
If you go to mikrolisk.de (the best database for horological trade marks) and search on "F R" you will come up with a couple of logos with the sunburst and the F R initials. F R & F gave no results. Sorry I can't do a screen grab right now to show what was there. Hope this helps.

Walt

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Really no one can affirmatively say the name of this trademark FR&R?
Firstly, the mark on your clock is actually FR&F, not FR&R. I typed it wrong in my post, for which I apologise. But although I typed it wrong, I did search for the correct mark (FR&F) and have so far been unable to come up with an identification. The initials do look somewhat untidy, and I wonder if they may have been those of a wholesaler/retailer stamped over the maker's logo.

But even the logo without initials I have not so far been able to identify with certainty.

If I find anything I will report.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
A further report on your clock and its logo:

Although it is not identical, I have found a logo which I think must be a variation of yours. It is from the company F. Romanet , in Morbier (Jura), France,.

If you google F. Romanet horloges you will find a lot of information on the company, much is in French but there is also a lot in English. You will also find photos of Romanet clocks and also their logo. The FR & F stands for F. Romanet & Fils , although often there was only FFR (which was Fils de F. Romanet). The basic logo, the rising sun rays, is the same however the initials are stamped. My idea that the FR&F might have been stamped on by a wholesaler is therefore null and void.

The company ceased trading in 1981. I believe your clock dates from the 1930s.

Hope this helps.

WIEN

Oct 15, 2016
Country
I am grateful to everyone for your help and your time.
Many thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gil74
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent