Need Help Identifying Regulator Clock

R_Fry

Sep 6, 2020
Country
I'm trying to find out exactally what sort of cloock this is, as welll as what kind of replacement works I could use in it. Currently it loses 4 minitues per hour on fastest setting, and I cannot adjust that out. Probabiilly wear in the gears, I figure.
IMG_0114.jpg IMG_0111.jpg IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0108.jpg IMG_0107.jpg

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
That looks to be an Asian made clock.
If it is running slow, you should likely somehow shorten the pendulum length.
That can be done with the suspension spring, the pendulum leader or shortening the pendulum itself.
A new movement is probably not available. Asian movements are made from substandard materials, have poor design and can be a danger to you as the click assemblies many times will fail when the clock is being wound. A direct replacement movement will not solve the problems you have.
JMHO
Dick

R_Fry

Sep 6, 2020
Country
That looks to be an Asian made clock.
If it is running slow, you should likely somehow shorten the pendulum length.
That can be done with the suspension spring, the pendulum leader or shortening the pendulum itself.
A new movement is probably not available. Asian movements are made from substandard materials, have poor design and can be a danger to you as the click assemblies many times will fail when the clock is being wound. A direct replacement movement will not solve the problems you have.
JMHO
Dick
If I were to shorten the pendulumn, it would not fit in the glass area.
I'm not looking for an identical replacement, just a new movement of any sort that would keep time.
Thank you.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
As was said Asian clocks are known to have poor engineering.
Just any clock movement will not necessarily fit because of the same problem you already have. Transplanting a movement is known as a marriage in this industry. I would call that a divorce.
If you are handy, you might be able to find a dependable, quartz clock movement and fit it up.
The clock will then not be a potential hazard and it will operate on a battery change once a year.
Best Regards,
Dick

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Some of the supply houses used to carry this movement, it is Chinese.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
If the clock runs well--that is, if it seems to have an energetic pendulum swing, and it strikes the hour correctly, then chances are that someone has been fooling with the pendulum. It could be the incorrect pendulum, or its weight distribution has been changed. You can effectively shorten the pendulum by adding weight well above the pendulum bob. Check the condition of the suspension spring, too.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Wear would likely cause the opposite affect - slowing down. Mark's suggestion of adding weight high on the pendulum might be your best option on this one. Give that a try and see if you can get it closer to acceptable time keeping. Also check to see if any of the pendulum parts can be moved higher, other than the bob.

R_Fry

Sep 6, 2020
Country
Wear would likely cause the opposite affect - slowing down. Mark's suggestion of adding weight high on the pendulum might be your best option on this one. Give that a try and see if you can get it closer to acceptable time keeping. Also check to see if any of the pendulum parts can be moved higher, other than the bob.
There are 2 adjustment screws by the suspension spring as well, but I have rather avoided messing with those. That's not to say someone else hasn't.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
There are 2 adjustment screws by the suspension spring as well, but I have rather avoided messing with those. That's not to say someone else hasn't.
Raising or lowering the bracket where the suspension spring is anchored will not change the total length of the pendulum or the rate at which the clock runs. Sometimes the pivot hole for the escapement adjustment is also on the adjustable bracket. If the clock otherwise runs correctly I would not mess with the screws next to the suspension spring. I suspect that you have the wrong pendulum and/or suspension spring.

RC

R_Fry

Sep 6, 2020
Country
Raising or lowering the bracket where the suspension spring is anchored will not change the total length of the pendulum or the rate at which the clock runs. Sometimes the pivot hole for the escapement adjustment is also on the adjustable bracket. If the clock otherwise runs correctly I would not mess with the screws next to the suspension spring. I suspect that you have the wrong pendulum and/or suspension spring.

RC
If the one I have is incorrect, would I need a thicker, longer, or shorter spring to increase speed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller