• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Need help identifying my watch

iserit2

New User
Nov 21, 2022
Country
Good afternoon all,
I am seeking assistance in identifying the movement on my watch. It is a Hampden wrist watch and where to find the serial number. I thought I found the serial number but when I ran the number on one of the online database, the picture shown did not match my watch. The serial number I thought I found was 83464 or 88464. I am totally new to this and any assist you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Tim I

B072936F-C9B4-40F0-A08E-6E52A375F63E.jpeg 978CD35F-A47B-4E03-8773-0C7CC6C77E70.jpeg

thesnark17

NAWCC Member
Jul 11, 2020
Country
Region
Hi, your Hampden watch was made in Switzerland long after the Ohio factory had closed. The owners of the brand sold all the physical assets of the Hampden Watch Co. to Russia, but they kept the rights to the name. They sold generic watches from Switzerland, labeled Hampden, until at least the 1950s.

Much the same thing continues today. If you go looking for an Elgin watch, you can still find new ones in stores! I think they're made in China these days.

Reactions: iserit2

MrRoundel

Donor
Dec 28, 2010
Country
Region
I just happened to have been working on a Swiss Hampden movement over the past couple of days. Mine is in what is called a "Nurse's watch" or "Nun's watch". I believe it is 10 1/2 lignes in size. I believe that yours is a more recent manufacture than mine, as it has an Incabloc antishock device on it. This is preferable due to it withstanding shocks better without damaging the balance staff and/or jewels.

OK now for the ID, I'm pretty sure yours was made by Fontainemelon, aka FHF, and is in the caliber 150 family. While there are differences in the bridge layout, I'm pretty confident that it's the FHF. It is definitely Swiss. I find the FHF 150-1 to be a very well made movement. Unfortunately mine needs a new hairspring (Not my doing.) or a complete balance. Is yours running? Does it have a center seconds hand?

FHF 150-1

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I just happened to have been working on a Swiss Hampden movement over the past couple of days. Mine is in what is called a "Nurse's watch" or "Nun's watch". I believe it is 10 1/2 lignes in size. I believe that yours is a more recent manufacture than mine, as it has an Incabloc antishock device on it. This is preferable due to it withstanding shocks better without damaging the balance staff and/or jewels.

OK now for the ID, I'm pretty sure yours was made by Fontainemelon, aka FHF, and is in the caliber 150 family. While there are differences in the bridge layout, I'm pretty confident that it's the FHF. It is definitely Swiss. I find the FHF 150-1 to be a very well made movement. Unfortunately mine needs a new hairspring (Not my doing.) or a complete balance. Is yours running? Does it have a center seconds hand?

FHF 150-1
Basically, they all still had FHF 150 stamped dial side, right up to when they changed to FHF 170. Which means all the 150/160 variants.

iserit2

New User
Nov 21, 2022
Country

FHF 150-1
Thank you for the information. I got busy at work and then got the flu so I have not been online in awhile. Mine is not running. It does have a center second hand. Interestingly, since your post, I saw a watch movement on ebay that I purchased. It is the exact same as mine. The seller listed it as a 23.5mm military style 17j movement. I figure if can the ebay movement as a source of parts. One question I have is what is meant by "military style"? Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Best wishes,
Tim I,

MrRoundel

Donor
Dec 28, 2010
Country
Region
The movement is a little different than the one you showed at the start. It's likely the same overall movement, with just some differences in the shock protection device used, as well as having a cap jewel on the escape wheel.

Depending on what is keeping your original from running, you might consider using the new movement in your old case. Your case looks like it's what some might call a "military" type. It's not much of stretch to call the dial on recent purchase a military style. As far as what is military style, it's sort of the kind of thing you know when you see it. It's the style of minute markers, the use of the luminescence on the hours and hands, the style of the hands, etc. IMO, providing the movement is running, as it was described, and you just need to get it serviced, I think you did great. But from what I see, I would probably use the recent purchase in the existing case. Since you did not show the dial on your existing watch, I can't say for sure, but the replacement has a very nice dial. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent