Need help identifying Mission Grandfather Clock

cshumack

May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Country
Region
The clock is typical mission style. It has single wind and no weights. The hands extend in beyond center in both directions with pointers on each end. The main difference I see from most mission clocks is that the wood is it appears to be a black stain. The back of the movement is boxed in and has no labels.

Thanks,

Cary

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
It appears to be time only. Most of the ones I've seen are time and strike.

Can you get pictures of the back of the movement? I would assume it's USA made.

cshumack

May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Country
Region
unfortunately it appears that the movement is mounted to the backplate which is nailed to the box. I can't take the hands off to remove the movement since I don't own it yet.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Once (if) you buy it, remove the movement. Then we may know for sure who made it.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The hands appear to be New Haven. The closest match I found in Tran Duy Ly's New Haven book is the Dutch No. 20, shown from 1911 catalogue. That, however, had an 8-day weight-driven movement, with half-hour and hour strike. It was 78 inches tall, 18 1/2 inches wide, with a 12 inch dial. The case was solid oak with a Flemish finish. No mention of any other style movement, and I agree that the time-only movement is unexpected.

I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but this clock seems never to have accommodated a weight-driven movement.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
We are not allowed to discus values here, but i would say if it were me i would be tempted to buy it, i personally like the look of it.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
These are fairly common and depending on location are not very expensive. Just depends on what a person likes and/or wants.:(

Best,

Richard T..

cshumack

May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Country
Region
Oops...I was not aware of the rules. I'm not really looking to set a price. I just don't want to make a stupid purchase. This is my first antique clock purchase. The most important thing to me is that I have a good story to tell when someone sees it in my house. And by story, I would like to avoid the "look at the clock that I got ripped off on."

Thanks

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Cary,

don't worry too much about getting "ripped off".

If I get a Dollar for every "stupid clock buys" in the
early years, I'd be real rich! :eek:

The thing is, you like it, or you don't. If it fits your budget
nicely, grab it and run. If you have doubts, leave it where it is.
It's always hard to give advice from a distance, but, there will
always be other clocks coming up and passing by.

At least now, I know what a "mission clock" is!

Jurgen

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
My point of view is that it makes no difference which American maker made this clock. It is what it is, and that is a time only mission spring driven "grandfather/floor clock"...the relative value would be the same....
Inbeat is correct. They all look very similar, and many may not be documented in the references. The only way to ID to any degree is to see the movement and determine whether it is original or not.

cshumack

May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Country
Region
I will try to open it up and check out the movement. I'm not sure if it is worth what I paid for it, but I do like the look and there are no mission clocks in my area. I guess the supply vs. demand curve has hit me.

The seller called it an arts and crafts clock. From what little research I have done, it is a mission clock if it is USA made. Some people even prefer to call them Stickley clocks since Gustav Stickley was the one to bring a&C style to the USA.

BTW - was able to drop the seller to $250 since it is time only.

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2011
Region
At least its time-only movement won't disturb you at night. My divina gong is about to drive me crazy as you could notice it in my last posts. ;)

cshumack

May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Country
Region
Ok....cracked it open and it was stamped with the New Haven logo. Also had the number 23 stamped on the movement. Hope this helps me gather more info about this clock.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I am aware of no source that carries a comprehensive date listing of NH movements. Some are shown in Tran Duy Ly's NH book from various catalogues, but none with the designation 23. (I'm not saying the movements is not called the No. 23 - many NH movements had numerical designations - but I haven't seen it listed and dated anywhere.) A picture of the movement might allow someone to recognize it and offer an approximate date or range of dates.

There is often a limit to the amount of information we can provide here. Not due to a lack of interest, mind you, but simply due to a lack of resources and knowledge. If this clock, as it stands, is an original NH product, it seems that it may have escaped the attention of our commonly used sources. And, if you are satisfied that the movement is original to the clock case, then a date range of 1900-1915 would not seem farr of the mark. These mission-style clocks experienced a bit of popularity in that period.

cshumack

May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Country
Region
I hope that this picture from the web of a New Haven wall 8 day gong No. 2907 is evidence that the cabinet is original to the movement. The hands and the wood color are identical to mine.

2.jpg

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
CS
I'd say that is evidence enough! Congrats on your clock and the detective work!:clap:

Jay

chiminIn

Aug 17, 2016
China Grove, N. C.
Country
Region
I have a time only Sessions grandfather mission, circa 1910. I've seen them listed as hall clocks. Running right along, with about 30 more antique clocks, in my living room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller