• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Need help identifying Lyre clock......

vince-phyl

NAWCC Fellow
Jun 2, 2008
A friend needs help in identifying this clock. He has owned it for about 40 years. It has what appears to be an unmarked Waltham movement with the # 5600 on it....
....No other markings on this clock. No signature on it anywhere. It does have a black seat board behind the movement that enables the movement to be mounted to this rather than the back of the clock case. This black seat board is glued to the back board...It also has what I would refer to as a "Willard Type" of door latches that can be seen in the pictures

It is a full size Lyre....

You can contact me through this blog or call me 916-952-4961

Thank you,

Vince

IMG_8177.jpg Scan_001.jpg Scan_002.jpg IMG_8178.jpg IMG_8181.jpg IMG_8183.jpg IMG_8186.jpg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello Vince,

It is difficult to id any maker, because clock is unsigned.

The Waltham movement dates from about 1906/7, I have seen a few unsigned Waltham movements. Unfortunately that does not confirm the date when or where the clock case was made.

Andy Dervan

vince-phyl

NAWCC Fellow
Jun 2, 2008
Thank you for the reply.....I have been told that this could possibly be a Durfee. They also used Waltham movement and actually mounted them on a similar black backboard that was glued to the inside back of the case.

Also, there are examples of Durfee clocks that used this same movement with serial numbers close to the 5600 that this unmarked movement has.

One last comment. The quality of this case is what someone would expect from Durfee.

I am sure that there is someone out there that has a definitive answer.

Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent