American Need help identifying an Heirloom (mfg date & model ?)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JMoss80917, Mar 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JMoss80917

JMoss80917 New Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi All
    I have a clock I inherited from my father, who got it from his father. There are 2 stories about where it came from originaly. #1 is that my grandfather got it from a railway station in Kansas, while he worked for the railroad up there and the other is my great uncle bought it for his Buster Brown shoe store. The brass piece in the Bottom says "WELCH, SPRING & Co/ FORRESTVILLE, CONN./U.S.A." I'd appreciate help dating it. This clock does not have a second hand but there is a pin where the second hand would go. It has 2 large brass weights (sorry they don't show in the pics, I just wound it this morning) I usually wind it every 3-4 days but it would probably run 7-8 if I wound it all the way up and let it run all the way down (Dad warned me not to over wind it, so every 3 or 4 days works)
    Wech (Medium).JPG Welch 01 (Medium).JPG Welch 02 (Medium).JPG Welch 03 (Medium).JPG

steamer471 and THTanner like this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you have a lovely welch spring and co. regulator 2... 18" dial, two weights, time only.

yes, it should have a second hand... the chapter ring (markings) for the second hand have worn off.

you should remove it immediately from that coffin like outer shell thing... the clock is gorgeous. the shell thing is not... an is unnecessary.

here are some links to previous discussions of both of mine... the third link is about the weights, and the last one is for a very similar atkins (they shared movements and cases), with a 30-day upside-down movement:

welch spring & company regulator 2 #2
    welch spring & company regulator 2
    Weights for Welch Spring & Co. Regulator No. 2.
    atkins 30 day extra / upside down movement drawing

3. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    p.s.: wind it every seventh day... it's an eight-day clock. i wind all of mine on tuesday mornings. these wind counter-clockwise. wind slowly once the weight disappears and stop immediately when you feel them hit the top... you do not want to stress the weight cords or have the cords pull off of the pulleys.

btw... it would be good to see photos of the tops of the sides... the one i have that looks like yours has angled / coffin-like bevels at the tops of the sides. the ones that's be refinished is later, and has flat box-like sides

4. JMoss80917

JMoss80917 New Member

Mar 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for sharing your knowlege, I appreciate it.
    There is no indication there ever was a chapter ring and no wear marks in that area (check the photo of the face).
    The clock is in a high traffic area and I have grandchildren. The shell is actually imbedded in the wall so the clock doesn't stick out from the wall. AND I like the way it looks thankyouverymuch.
    the tops of the sides are square, no bevel. something I hadn't realized before is that the pulleys are actually mounted in the top of the body of the clock, they stick out above the body of the clock.
    Did you notice that the holes to wind the weights on your clock are below the line of the 3 & 9 while they're above the line on mine? and the hole for the second hand is much higher on mine than yours?

5. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there were variations in movements and cases. the pulleys on the one with the coffin sides are through the top...it’s the oldest.

i think... but am guessing... that yours is the next period.

on my refinished one the pulleys are inside the case and the top is flat with no breaks... probably the newest of the three

JMoss80917 likes this.
  6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    check out this page on my clock website... it has (some) photos comparing movements, dials, cases, etc.

bruce's CLOCKS

click on the image on the left, or on 'gallery' to see the larger images