Need help identifying a verge fusee pocket watch.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by JasonS, Aug 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JasonS

JasonS Registered User

Aug 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated or links to where I can find info about it. I have contacted others about this watch and haven't had much luck. I was told that it might be Swiss but the days of the week are in French and it has a silver regulation (advance/retard) dial. The mark on the inside of the case has stumped the professionals I've contacted. I hope someone on here can help me with this. Its driving me nuts!

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg 6.jpeg 7.jpeg 8.jpeg 9.jpeg 10.jpeg 11.jpeg 12.jpeg

Keith R... and viclip like this.
  2. Lychnobius

Lychnobius Registered User

Aug 5, 2015
    Semi-retired designer & printer
    Redruth, Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    By way of a beginning: – Virtually all the watchmaking in Switzerland was done in a region near the border with France where French was the language generally used. The arabic figures on the dial would suggest a date of about 1800.

Here is a rather wild idea: could the engraved 'FWIII' and crown inside the case indicate a connection with King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, who reigned from 1797 to 1840? If so it would not necessarily mean that the watch actually belonged to him (and one would expect a monarch's personal watch to be cased in gold), but he could have presented it to a favoured officer or courtier.

Oliver Mundy.

JasonS likes this.
  3. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Retired and free (with dog again!)
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What does the tag say, that might provide some clues. Or maybe it's just a selling price for wherever you acquired this lovely watch. Likely swiss, possibly French, I love the very symmetrical face with the small day and date dials, and the lovely engraving. This watch likely had noble beginnings, Oliver's musing about FWIII is certainly plausible. Maybe other examples of this watch could have been given out by the monarch.
    Good find, and hope you enjoy your nice acquisition.

4. JasonS

JasonS Registered User

Aug 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Oliver! Good call on FWIII. I'll try to start my search there. Hopefully I'll find more and update the post when I do.

5. JasonS

JasonS Registered User

Aug 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I have tried to search for the tag and haven't found anything yet. I'm new to collecting and was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction on where I can find a site or a book to continue my research.

6. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    unusual this verge, usually used for the Chinese market. the square pendant is typical. most of these were
    made both in the Canton of Neuchatel and in France in Saint Suzanne (Montbeliard).
    for the engraved FWIII and crown I doubt they are original of the era but rather posthumous.
    note that the crown and the letters are offset. very coarse unlikely for craftsman "graveur"
    between the kingdom of Prussia and the canton of Neuchatel there was a personal union and therefore the King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia was very popular and known in the Swiss Canton.but as I said I doubt it is of origin
    regards enrico

Keith R... likes this.
  7. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    If Enrico is right about this watch having its origins in Neuchatel then the best book, assuming you read French, would be La Montre Chinoise by Chapuis and Loupe. Not cheap though...

Keith R... likes this.
  8. JasonS

JasonS Registered User

Aug 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I did a little more searching and found a similar looking watch on Ebay. What do you think? Could it have been made by Piguet & Meylan? As for the case Im thinking it may not be the original and was swapped at some point in the past.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.34.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.34.17 PM.png

9. JasonS

JasonS Registered User

Aug 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, Thanks for the info!