• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Need help getting started please

NewToTowerClock

Sep 28, 2017
Country
I am just starting out. One of my maintenance requirements is the care of our county Tower Clock. When I started this job a year ago no one in the maintenance crew even knew how to set the time on its four faces together. I have been struggling along but know I need to educate myself.
I see its make is a E. Howard but how do I find the rest of the details Model etc...so that i can seek reference materials.
Based on the bell motor, type of wiring, etc it was electrified as an update somewhere in the 1950's
The bell is 1884.

I have mainly just been keeping it clean and observing its function until 2 days ago when the main movement motor failed. I have the exact same replacement and I will attempt to install tomorrow. But I fear more issues are to be found.

I feel like a goat looking at a wrist watch. Pictures are rough I know but I am trying to clean it up and give it the home it deserves. Please help me find my way. Dropbox - 100NIKON

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
I'll move this to the Tower Clock forum, where you may get better feedback.
Brother, you've bitten yourself off a big chunk. ;)

bangster

Reactions: NewToTowerClock

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It would be helpful to know whereabouts in the world you are situated. If we knew that, it might be possible that someone nearby could help you.

JTD

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
I'd like to see the motor which does the time keeping. Turn the flash on when you take the pictures.

Warren Brook

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2005
Atlanta
Country
Region
It would be helpful to know whereabouts in the world you are situated. If we knew that, it might be possible that someone nearby could help you.

JTD
The original poster's photos were marked Bastrop County, which is just southeast of Austin, TX.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
You're right, they are marked. I didn't see that, hidden in gray writing up at the top of the post - I was looking at the nice old clock!

He could try contacting his local NAWCC chapter - someone there might be able to help or point him in the right direction.

JTD

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
Location & country flags are SUPPOSED to be visible to the left of each post. But something broke that. We're working on it.

pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow
Jun 15, 2009
Silverdale, WA
Country
Region
You have a Howard round top special No. 1 striking tower clock which as you guessed was electrified sometime after it was installed. The bell probably predates the movement though I know of a clock like this reliably dated 1884. To put you in contact with help, we really need to know where the clock is and how to contact you.
Paul Middents
Silverdale WA

pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow
Jun 15, 2009
Silverdale, WA
Country
Region
Shawn Harris,

You have a Howard round top special No. 1 striking tower clock which as you guessed was electrified sometime after it was installed. The bell probably predates the movement though I know of a clock like this reliably dated 1884.
I found your clock in the Howard records and it is the oldest round top special known so far. The one referred to above was ordered in April 1884 and installed in Warwick MA. The Bastrop County Courthouse Bastrop, TX clock was ordered in Feb. 1884. This is a transcription from the Howard records in New York Office records (Vol 14) p. 67:

"Feby 26th (1884)
Order from N.Y. Office.
Ship to Dyer Moore Esq.
Bastrop, Texas.
1 #1 Striking Tower Clock
To strike Hours & Half Hours on same bell.
Number of Dials 4.
Diameter ""[[dittos for: of Dials]] 4 ft.
Thickness ""[[dittos for: of Dials]] 7/8 in.
Square of tower 12 ft.
Dials above Clock floor. Clock floor to centre of dials 4 ft.
Bell below Clock. Bell above Dials.
Weight of Bell 800 lbs. Fall for weights 40 ft.
Hands and figures to be black.
for Bastrop County Court House.
1 - 800 lb. Bell. Clock & Bell to be delivered and put up, we doing no carpenter work for $1000.-
Mr. Carr has drawing of the tower
[[margin]] T. [[/margin]]
[[margin, underlined]] Mar. 27th B.S. [[strikethrough]] 28th [[/strikethrough]] Apr. 14th [[/margin]]
[[diagonal line through this entry, crossing from upper left to lower right]] "

Howard supplied the bell. The Mr. Carr referred to above was Howard's shop superintendent.

The clock needs some serious servicing from a tower clock guru. It is historically important and worth preserving even in its electrified state. Contact me and I can supply some recommendations. pmiddents at wavecable dot com

Paul Middents

Reactions: Mr. Time

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
So glad someone is working on the clock. To give you an idea of where the clock is situated, attached are two postcards of the Bastrop County Courthouse. The tower on the courthouse was originally taller, as shown in the first of the attached postcards. The first is older, and shows an image before the tower was lowered in 1924 (per Wikipedia).

Bastrop Cty - Bastrop tall tower front.jpg Bastrop county courthouse front.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Time

Feb 13, 2017
TEXAS
Country
Region
Shawn Harris,
Contact the folks at. The Southwest Museum of Clocks and Watches : Lockhart, Texas
They have restored several Texas courthouse clocks.
Paul Middents

WOW!

Thank you so much for posting and sharing this museum site! I had no idea that it even existed here in South Central Texas!

I live not very far from there and I will definitely visit very soon, hopefully. I called and spoke with the people at the museum and inquired, etc. and even bought up the this thread/post (website) concerning the Bastrop County Court House clock restoration, etc. and was told that they have yet to hear from anyone from Bastrop County or area concerning restoration on the clock. They told me that they are members of the NAWCC, etc. and have restored several clocks in the Texas county area's before.

Also going to make it a point to visit the Bastrop County Court House clock as well. Also don't live far from that place either.

Again, thanks for posting and sharing the site.