Need hardened steel cutter

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ticktock, Mar 1, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I purchased a very nice Kobalt tool from Home Depot for cutting the excess steel when repivoting.
    I thought it was a good tool since it cut them beautifully UNTIL I looked at the jaws! LOL. I have little indentations on the jaw cutters now. The tool is not designed for hardened steel.

What tool can I use that would handle this?

tick

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tick do you mean the end of the pivot?

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Timesavers has a lantern pinion cutter, part # 22923.
    I use a Dremel cutoff wheel.

4. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Yes I mean the end of the pivot.

And Harold I purchased that cutter from Timesavers and I have not have much success with it. It either cuts it at an angle or it takes so much leverage to push down on the cutter it's not worth the energy and time spent and trying to find it somewhere in the room after it is cut!

Which cutoff wheel do you use with your dremel tool? Part number? And do you chuck or put the pivot wire into a vise to prevent vibration?

Thanks.

tick

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use the coarse sanding discs for small cuts like this. If you could drill a hole in a piece of hardwood of the depth you need, a little larger in diameter than the piece you are cutting, put the wire in the hole and cut it off flush to the wood. This should get you the same size over and over, if you are doing lantern pinion trundles. Makes a much smoother cut than side cutters.

6. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    A while back, (like maybe six months ago, or so) someone posted a photo of a setup for cutting trundles using a cutoff wheel on a Dremel or equivalent tool, mounted in a vee block. The spacing between the wheel and the block was used to create trundles of equal lengths.