Need E Howard Crank Dimensions

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by sjaffe, Feb 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sjaffe

sjaffe Registered User

Dec 25, 2012
    Engineer
    Santa Rosa,CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    I'm (still) working on an E. Howard tower clock (circa 1908). You may recall the winding crank has gone AWOL and I've been trying to find a substitute. I have located an expert blacksmith/welder who is willing to help fabricate a new one. The only solid information I have is the winding arbor end is 5/8" square. Could someone provide enough information so we can make a new one? I need how deep to make the square fitting over the winding arbor end, and how long each of the three sections need to be (arbor end, 90 degree piece and handle section).
    Thank you,
    Stan

2. Eric Ryback

Eric Ryback Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Retired
    Saint Louis, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a crank on Ebay. "Antique Tower Clock Cast Iron Winding Hand Crank 12 5/8" Long 1/2" or 13mm Hole" You could file the square to fit the 5/8" square winding arbor.

Good Luck! Eric

3. Paul M

Paul M Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 1, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Stan, I just saw your post. Are you still in need of crank dimensions? The photo below shows our 1906 E. Howard Model 0 clock with its crank at the base.

- Paul -

temp.jpg

4. sjaffe

sjaffe Registered User

Dec 25, 2012
    Engineer
    Santa Rosa,CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Paul. I was able to get dimensions of a similar tower clock crank and we made one up. I would still like to get the dimensions of your crank for comparison. I measured the square end of the winding arbor as 5/8" and we made the crank to fit this, but when I tried it it did not fit. I had just used a tape measure instead of calipers so guess it is slightly beyond 0.625". Could you tell me what your's measures at? My access is somewhat limited. I'm not sure if ours is actually slightly larger than 5/8" or if the end might be mushroomed slightly and that is what is keeping it from working correctly.

Stan