Need digital copy of Public Square New Haven panel

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by TimelyFool, Jun 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TimelyFool

TimelyFool Registered User

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi.

I have a J.C. Brown 8 day OG. It has what I think is the original painted panel showing a scene in the public square of New Haven. A church is the centerpiece of the scene. Trouble is the painted image of the church has flaked off leaving clear glass. Why only the church? If it was a Unitarian church that might make some sense. (A poor attempt at a friendly Garrison Keillor Unitarian joke.)

A photo of the panel is attached. Note that I have added a textured pattern to the area which originally depicted the church.

Anyway, it occurred to me that this design might be far from unique. Perhaps someone out there has an intact version and could take a photograph and send to me a color jpg or tiff image. I could make a print to size and back it up against my panel which would add the missing church and complete the image. It need not be a perfect photograph. I can correct for contrast, color and perspective, and subdue major reflections in PhotoShop.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Michael….Timely Fool

J.C. Brown panel with missing church.jpg

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not the best pictures, but...

Public Square 1.jpg Public Square 2.jpg

3. TimelyFool

TimelyFool Registered User

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Teacher
    Fox River Grove, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Sooth. Your second attachment should work to produce a print to place behind the original to fill in the gaps. Probably better is for me to photograph or scan my incomplete original and in Photoshop add the church from your photo. Them make a new print to add behind a clear piece of old salvaged window glass cut to fit the door. Since my post of last June I put my church panel in storage and behind plain glass added the attached image I downloaded from an email posting for another clock. It is a nice early Victorian painting of what could be two sisters. I am intrigued with it. What is going on between them? How would their body language, facial expressions, and other details in the illustration be understood by those living in the 1830's? You might have some idea or know which forum to give a shoutout about it.

ladies for clock label for ogee clock.jpg