Need Cuckoo clock info

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bud4u2, Mar 15, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bud4u2

bud4u2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2010
    retired
    Fremont,Ca.
    Country Flag:
    I have a cuckoo clock that I have had for over 40yrs,
    the only info on the movement is:
    Eickmann & Co.
    100/171
    made in Germany
    Anyone have any info on this clock ??

TIA,

Bud

2. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

Kim St.Dennis Sr. Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to Message Board. I check the reference books I have and there is no Eichmann & Co. in either of them. There is a nice Black Forest clock book that may have something.

A few pictures would help place it time and gives us some idea when it was made. The "Made in Germany" puts it in the 20th Century. I think it was around 1930 that the phrase "Made in ______" was required by Congress for all imported goods.

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Bud, welcome to the message board. I would guess that Eickmann & Co were importers of the clock, who ordered a run of 171 clocks with their names on them.

4. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The requirement that "all articles of foreign manufacture" be marked "in legible English words, so as to indicate the country of their origin" was in the (US) Tariff Act of 1890, commonly known as the Mc Kinley Tariff Act. It went into effect 1 March 1891. There was not then or later a requirement for "Made in ______".

A two-part article concerning these country-of-origin markings appeared in the November 2009 and February 2010 issues of CLOCKS entitled "Made Where When?". It treats many of the widespread beliefs about these markings, and contains selections from various US and UK acts, etc.

Regards
    Zep

5. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Zap

I put the 1930 date for the introduction of the phrase "Made in _____" because that was the only date I could find on the web with a reference to "Country of Origin". From Wikipedia entry "Rules of Origin" we have a reference to the Tariff Act of 1930. The Act required as amended (19 U.S.C.1304) requires most imports, including many food items, to bear labels informing the ultimate purchaser of their country of origin.

As an avid Alarm Clock collector, I have probably run into this more the most clock collectors. I have seen 3 different type of markings related to Country of Origin.

The first is the word "Foreign", which I believe was used circa 1885 or later on mostly German Alarm clocks imported into the USA.

The second is the simple printing of the country of origin on the dial i.e. Germany, England. Based on the numbers of Circa 1890 to 1910 Alarm Clocks with that marking I have seen it would indicates that your reference is correct on the 1891 date.

But some time early in the 20th Century, I believe that congress required that goods imported in to the USA be marked "Made in _____" or "______ Made", as in the phrase "Swiss Made" seen on a most imported watch faces from the 20's & 30's.

I believe that the change from the simple marking of the "Country of Origin" to "Made in ______" was circa 1910. It would also appear that is has something to do with International Patent Agreements, I have found several ambiguous references to patent law in the tariff laws postings.

The posting on Tariffs tend to focus on protectionism and the financial impact of the law without any of the details.

6. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 zepernick, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Kim --

All of the things you mention are treated in the eight-page article I mentioned.

For example, the belief that "Made in ____" was required or required at a certain date. Or, for instance, the "foreign" marking (which is actually in a 1926 UK act). Or, also as an example, the seemingly intractable belief that "Germany" was not used -- let alone very widely used -- in the post-WWII to Reunification period. And as a last example, the specific requirement that country of origin was put on all dials (watches and clocks) comes in 1909.

Furthermore, the article was written (by yours truly oh blush :myhappy:) precisely because there is so much wrong information floating about. Not a little of it is found in "authoritative" sources, articles and volumes, some of them from our own horokin. The net has helped to spread it.

And because of such, original documents were provided. There are extracts for example from the McKinley act, the Merchandise Marks Act of 1926, the Tariff acts of 1909 and 1913, and so on.

Best regards,
    Zep

7. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Kim St.Dennis Sr., Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks Zap
    I will look it up. I'm not sure is I have that issue, but I will look. I found my copy and will check out. Thanks Again.
    Kim

8. bud4u2

bud4u2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2010
    retired
    Fremont,Ca.
    Country Flag:
    #8 bud4u2, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Pictures for previous thread (cuckoo clock)

Here are 2 pics of my cuckoo clock that I was seeking info on.
    Anyone have any idea who made the movement ??
    Thanks again
    Bud

Name on movement:

Eickmann & Co.
    Made in Germany
    100/171

ps. bellows were removed for pics

Attached Files:

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I've merged the more recent thread with the earlier one.

10. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #10 eskmill, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    The photo of the cuckoo movement shown by bud4u bears a strong resemblance to the back plate illustrated in a repair parts catalog as shown in the thumbnail photos below.

Note that there's two identical movement back plates shown for identification and replacement parts. The movement with the longer pendulum requires heavier weights.

Most likely the movement in bud4u's cuckoo clock was made by Baduf (Badische Uhrenfabrik) for an exporter named Eickmann & Co. Badische Uhrenfabrik is/was a major clock movement producer.

Attached Files:

11. bud4u2

bud4u2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2010
    retired
    Fremont,Ca.
    Country Flag:
    Eckmill & everyone else who replied to my post,

Thank you for your responses, I found out who made my cuckoo
    clock and other info I found very useful.
    I also acquired enough info from the Clock Repair forum to replace
    the bellow membranes. My clock now cuckoo's after 30 yrs setting
    in a box.
    Thanks again,

Bud

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I re-identified it a few hours ago but my post evidently disappeared? Willie X