Need Clock ID and Pendulum Help

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by billcampny, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. billcampny

billcampny Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Need some help......I recently acquired a time only clock, which I think is asian in origin (no marks or ID's that I can see). Does anyone have a clue as to the ID? Also the pendulum appears to mount separately, which is the first I have seen. The effective pendulum length is 24". I realize the current attachment of the shaft to the spring is a botch, but figured I would start to get the movement operational, and then worry about cosmetics. I had to shim out the movement from the backing board to allow the pendulum to swing freely.

If anyone has an idea of
    1) ID of maker
    2) Placement of pendulum in relation to the clock escapement

I'd be thankful!

Cheers

2. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Bill,

I think that in order for anyone to have a chance of helping you, you'll need to post some good photos of what you have.

See this link on including photos if you have any questions on how to do so: How To Attach Photos To Your Posts

Bruce

3. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Hi:
    I quite agree.....
    I had a file attached (in albums.).. let me retry....

4. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Let me retry again.... Hope this works
    466389-01657e276840a431732567149020b20c.jpg
    466388-1d6b1781e574f30cdeae9c89fae7d04e.jpg
    466387-404d69cec4e271448df7f0ffbe5103a4.jpg

5. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    I have uploaded the files to MEDIA. On the MB, when I attach them from the MEDIA, they come in square. The original files show the pendulum connection in the overall view.

6. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
  7. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello again Bill,

As always, there are several ways to do something. Personally I use the "Image" icon/link just to the left of the "Media" icon/link.
    What you've posted so far may allow someone to help. I personally haven't come across anything like that before.

Did you acquire just the movement and pendulum or is there a whole clock somewhere? No guarantees of course but the more information that you can provide, the better the chance someone will recognize your clock.

Good luck,

Bruce

8. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the quick reply. The movement came with the pendulum and hands, no dial or case, whereby I could hopefully reduce placement.

The media seems to shorten the images to an almost square format, which cropped off the pendulum attachment point in the photo, which is why I attached a second copy.

Hopefully someone will have run across one of these before and can guide me....

cheers

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never seen an Asian movement with that type of pendulum. My initial guess is that it's more likely German ... but it's a guess.
    There's something all wrong about the pendulum/crutch relationship. Every movement I've ever seen with a detached suspension hanger used a crutch pin passing through a slot in the pendulum to impulse the pendulum. Yours has a loop type crutch, and may have the wrong pendulum. Your pic's of that part are not able to be exploded, so it's hard to see. Use the FROM PC button below the posting box to post your pics. That should help.

10. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for this information. By chance, do you know if there is some standard relationship between the height of the pendulum mount vs the center point of the escapement pallet arbor (or escape wheel)?
    Attaching a detail of the back of the bob, showing attachments which might help with ID along with re-posting the details.

2019-09-11 10.04.02 lr Pendulum Bob back.jpg 2019-09-11 10.04.19 lr crutch.jpg 2019-09-10 Top View Clock lr.jpg 2019-09-10 Side View Clock lr.jpg

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ideally, the mount should be such that the flexing area of the suspension spring is at the same height as the pivot of the escapement anchor. This will minimize friction (by up and down rubbing) at the point where the crutch drives the pendulum.

Your current location of the mount is too high.

Uhralt

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Lookin more American to me (maybe).
    Willie X

Kevin W. likes this.
  13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking at all that solder, I wonder if the suspension spring broke at some point, and a too long replacement was soldered on. That crutch interaction point is quite low. Has it ever run long enough to give you an idea of how it keeps time? Does it look like the crutch is original and/or extended?
    Yes, and older than I first thought.

14. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it might be New Haven based on the bob attachment( I think)
    Hope I'm correct and this helps.
    tom

15. billcampny

NAWCC Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for your input. I will endeavor to lower the mounting point of the pendulum so the spring is basically flexing at the the CP of the pallet, butI think this will make the loop on the pendulum fall below the current length of the crutch wire. I do not see any patches on the wood pendulum which might suggest another position for the loop.

The clock currently will run for 1/2 hour or so, not really enough to get an idea of possible pendulum length mis-match. I noticed that there will need to be some bushing work on the pallet arbor on the rear plate (closest to the pendulum. All the other pivots seem properly tight, but I am in hopes I can clean the movement and rebush that arbor and then get back to figuring out the proper pendulum/crutch relationship.

Will follow-up when I have it back on the test stand.

16. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your suspension spring might be too long. It is hard to see in the pictures, but is there a piece of spring soldered to the pendulum rod? This looks home-made.

Uhralt

17. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree, looks New Haven, the bob .