I finally completed my newly acquired 1939 Stromberg Master Clock. Gleaming clean and freshly lubricated movement, all bushings are perfect. Cleaned all electric contacts, etc. Here is what is happening. The clock runs perfectly for 4 to 10 hours and then stops. After watching it closely, I found that the contact point that is activated once each minute begins to fail, and so the spring is no longer getting wound, and the clock stops. This has happened twice in the last 2 days. I removed the contacts, cleaned them because the contact point actually sparks when the contacts touch...so I carefully remove the burnt spot with fine emery paper, and reinstall the contacts, and all is great until the sparking/charring ruins the contact surface. I am purely a mechanical clock guy, so not at all trained in electrics except to make sure all contact points are bare metal clean. I have cleaned all wiring contacts, etc. When I remove the 2 main wires and touch them together, the coil fires every single time, but when I allow the clock to run on its own, the sparking occurs. OK, so the clock came to me with a 24v DC transformer. Is it possible that this is simply too much power and is causing the sparking? Any help is most appreciated. Thank you.
Most visitors online was 1660 , on 12 Dec 2020