Need advice on hanging

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I've got a wall clock that I've had for about 3 years now and I have always been concerned about hanging this amount of weight from the fastener that screws into the top board and hangs from a 3/8" bolt. Now that I am cleaning the movement I thought a good time to address this. The clock weighs 60#. There is a strip of wood midway down the back that's dovetailed that perhaps was used for hanging. I've also considered French cleats. Any thoughts? Thank you.

032.jpg IMG_20180107_130608.jpg IMG_20180107_130945.jpg IMG_20180107_130620.jpg

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
For the wall I would use a large long screw into the wood in the wall, driven in at a slight downward angle. If the hanger on the clock is original, it was probably designed for the weight, if you are concerned a larger longer screw to hold the bracket would help, or if there's room putting another screw in the bracket.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would definitely put the screw into a stud.

Reactions: MQ32shooter

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I've got a wall clock that I've had for about 3 years now and I have always been concerned about hanging this amount of weight from the fastener that screws into the top board and hangs from a 3/8" bolt. Now that I am cleaning the movement I thought a good time to address this. The clock weighs 60#. There is a strip of wood midway down the back that's dovetailed that perhaps was used for hanging. I've also considered French cleats. Any thoughts? Thank you.

View attachment 461775 View attachment 461776 View attachment 461777 View attachment 461779
Vernon,

The first picture appears to show the clock on a wall. Has it been hung on that wall for 3 years and, if yes, have you had any issues?

Regards.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
No issues since it's been on the wall. I have a 3/8 lag bolt into a wall stud at an angle so that is strong. The two screws holding the hanger however appear to be a little light to me plus all of the weight on that central point has me concerned. The top board is not showing any signs of bowing or cracking so that is a plus. Maybe there is nothing to be concerned about. :rolleyes:

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
What do you suppose the strip of wood midway down that extends beyond the sides was used for?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I wouldn't trust the hanger, it doesn't look strong enough to hold 60 pounds

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Vern,
The way that horizontal cleat is dovetailed into the case, I wouldn't doubt that it was/is part of some kind of a hanger system.
Does that cleat happen to have holes at the ends or a rabbited area at the bottom edge?
Oh, and are you sure that baby weighs 60#? Very nice clock.
Willie X

Reactions: Chris Radano

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
You might consider a matching wall shelf under the clock. It would limit the hand access port to regulate the clock, but that does not look like much of a problem.

woodlawndon

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2017
Woodlawn, Ontario
Country
Region
Beautiful clock, really like it! I think Willie is onto it with the rabbited cleat on the back, the way it is attached to the clock must be meant for strength. If you put a mated cleat on the wall for it to rest on and then your bolt on the hanger that should be plenty strong. Just curious, who is the maker of this clock

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
There was a collector here a few years back, from northern PA, who collected the "big boy" wall regulators (mostly Seth Thomas). He had passed away several years ago. I believe his name was Tom Wasserman, but if I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me. Before he passed, I PM'ed him and asked how he hung his regulators. He said either a large nail through a stud, but he also used those "No Stud" drywall hangers. If you search for "no stud drywall hangers", you will find examples of them....usually they have a circular plate with 3 fasteners. These hangers claim 200 lb. weight capacity.

Reactions: Vernon

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
If it were mine I would be concerned that all of the weight of the clock is being carried by the top board of the clock.

So I would put something, like a shelf or a matching board below the bottom of the clock, secured into a stud.

Is that a hole in the bottom board? If so, what is its purpose? Might this clock have been on a base and now, with the base removed, a hanger was attached?

Reactions: THTanner

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Vern,
The way that horizontal cleat is dovetailed into the case, I wouldn't doubt that it was/is part of some kind of a hanger system.
Does that cleat happen to have holes at the ends or a rabbited area at the bottom edge?
Oh, and are you sure that baby weighs 60#? Very nice clock.
Willie X
There is a rabbit but is angled in the wrong direction and there is a crack that I did not notice before in the side casing both photo #4. No mounting holes present but there is evidence by the way the wood is smashed that it once hung solely from this cleat. The person that I bought it from hung it from the top hanger and fastened a wire to the cleat. They shared the same screw. I tried this and wasn't happy. I did weigh the components individually for a combined weight of just under 60#.

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
You might make a new hanger that runs all the way down & screwed into the cleat & the top board. Then the weight of the clock would be carried by the top board as well as the cleat.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Yes, this has a pinwheel movement. The pendulum hangs from the mounting bracket instead of the iron frame. The hole in the lower case is rabbited out to accept a glass I believe as there are 4 nail holes to retain the glass. The weight can drop through to give longer run time.

Reactions: THTanner

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
You might make a new hanger that runs all the way down & screwed into the cleat & the top board. Then the weight of the clock would be carried by the top board as well as the cleat.
Now that is interesting!

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Yes, this has a pinwheel movement. The pendulum hangs from the mounting bracket instead of the iron frame. The hole in the lower case is rabbited out to accept a glass I believe as there are 4 nail holes to retain the glass. The weight can drop through to give longer run time.
How far does the weight drop currently with just one smooth layer of cord on the drum? If one layer does not let the weight go through the hole I would put a shelf under the clock. Heavy wall hangers worry me. Especially older ones with dried wood. But I live in one of the most active earthquake places on Earth, so I take extra precautions.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
How far does the weight drop currently with just one smooth layer of cord on the drum?
I'm not sure. I'm using a braided fishing type line so it is thinner than typical and I wind each week. I think that I've let it go 10 days before it goes through the hole!
I've got a brother in Phoenix and their outdoor humidity is really low, like 14% or less.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
That's what I would do. A thin strip of brass about 1 inch wide would do it.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'll mull them over, decide on something and report back!

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
[QUOTE="Willie X, post: Oh, and are you sure that baby weighs 60#? Very nice clock.
Willie X[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought. I'm thinking more like 40, maybe 45.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
So here's what I ended up doing. I went with my original idea of a French cleat (store bought version). This is designed to hold 156#. Way stronger than I need but the weight is evenly distributed and the clock should not tip when the door is open. Half inch wood screws were predrilled into backboard. The portion that goes on the wall, I used a two inch #10 wood screw into the stud and two 1/4 inch toggle bolts. It does stand the clock out about 3/8 in. from the wall so I will need to add a piece of felt at the bottom.

IMG_20180217_123307.jpg IMG_20180217_124643.jpg IMG_20180217_161820.jpg

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
I think I would add 2 countersunk wood screws to each side of the backboard your cleat is attached to.
For the keep it original crowd..........The clock was never built with rusty nails & centuries old dry brittle wood.

The cleat is well attached to the backboard, but is that section of backboard well attached to the side planks?

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
So here's what I ended up doing. I went with my original idea of a French cleat (store bought version). This is designed to hold 156#. Way stronger than I need but the weight is evenly distributed and the clock should not tip when the door is open. Half inch wood screws were predrilled into backboard. The portion that goes on the wall, I used a two inch #10 wood screw into the stud and two 1/4 inch toggle bolts. It does stand the clock out about 3/8 in. from the wall so I will need to add a piece of felt at the bottom.

View attachment 463173 View attachment 463174 View attachment 463175
You might find this handbook helpful:

hand book on hanging.png

Actually, it's an anti-capital punishment book done in a darkly humorous way. Something I picked up in my travels.

Once again, I'm coming a bit late to this.

At the risk of again being told that I'm overly negative, critical and have no class, I might suggest that you could have hung your lovely old clock in a less invasive fashion.

I have old horse hair plaster and lath walls in my home and I cannot always find a stud (those stud finders just don't seem to work!). So what to do with those heavy wall clocks?

I've successfully hung them using the following method. First, almost all have a hanger on the upper back board. I do use that if it is secure. I have developed a way of drilling into lath, passing one of those winged toggle bolts and then using a fender washer and nut to distribute the weight that will be placed on the screw coming through the wall upon which the clock will then be hung

Not trusting that alone I use a means of support placed UNDER the bottom of the clock that would help to support the weight of the clock and take some of the strain off of the existing hangers and also the clock case itself. I've used a wood block or metal brackets upon which the bottom just rests without attaching it to the case.

Banjos with a bracket? Well, often there are already a number of pre-existing holes in the portion of the backboard of the lower "box", so I use a few of those.

The point is, everything is non-invasive and doesn't create new holes, shadows, marks or risk damage to the case.

RM

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Jeeze RM! What a book! I'll sheepishly admit though that I was tempted to respond similarly to the title of this thread :)

senhalls

Apr 4, 2006
western PA.
Country
Region
Jeepers RM ! Thanks for the tip. Amazon has that book in stock. REALLY! Seriously, this is a good discuss as we most hate to have a clock fall. I had only one.....about 3 am, of course. With pistol in hand, I went off to investigate.

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Jeepers RM ! Thanks for the tip. Amazon has that book in stock. REALLY! Seriously, this is a good discuss as we most hate to have a clock fall. I had only one.....about 3 am, of course. With pistol in hand, I went off to investigate.
Safe to presume that it was already dead? :D

Reactions: Vernon

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
is that section of backboard well attached to the side planks?
Thanks Blkbeard, I did consider that and I will keep an eye out for any issues. I figured that the over half of the weight was attached directly to the backboard so this is where the support is needed.
I really struggled with adding extra holes and doing something none traditional but felt the benefits were worth it.
The rest of you are having too much fun. Thanks for the laugh!

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
While I'm just "hanging" around, I thought I would make an off topic observation.

There are 4 different dogs pictured in this thread as avatars.

Safe to say the NAWCC members are also dog lovers??

RM

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
While I'm just "hanging" around, I thought I would make an off topic observation.

There are 4 different dogs pictured in this thread as avatars.

Safe to say the NAWCC members are also dog lovers??

RM
Well, RM, I spent this afternoon working with my 6 month old black Lab attending a puppy agility class, my adult yellow Lab is a trained therapy dog--so I guess I fit the pattern you are describing. My only problem with dogs and clocks? I have a half dozen chiming tall clocks and when they all go off a 6AM Miss Lily wakes up and decides its time for her morning constitutional. Dogs and clocks? They are both money pits --but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Ray Rice, an early riser in Rifton

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Well, RM, I spent this afternoon working with my 6 month old black Lab attending a puppy agility class, my adult yellow Lab is a trained therapy dog--so I guess I fit the pattern you are describing. My only problem with dogs and clocks? I have a half dozen chiming tall clocks and when they all go off a 6AM Miss Lily wakes up and decides its time for her morning constitutional. Dogs and clocks? They are both money pits --but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Ray Rice, an early riser in Rifton
Please pat her on the head and ask her "who's a good dog!" for me.

RM

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Hey Woodlawndon, there is no identification anywhere on this clock with the exception of the number 15 stamped on the pendulum (which is what it weighs).

Thanks Shooter, I was able to hit a stud and used a 2" #10 wood screw plus 2 toggle bolts each rated 70#. I'll change out the 2" wood screw for one a little longer.

With to movement back together, I'm watching the oil debate on another thread before I oil this with my Nye 140b oil

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I expect the 2" screw will be secure enough. You need at least 1" into the stud.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDHusker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions