American Need advice for ST (Hermle) electromechanical movement

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Paul Stairs, Feb 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Stairs

Paul Stairs Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 12, 2011
    A friend has left his Seth Thomas tambour clock with me to see if I can discover why it is not striking the hours as it should. I should say up front that my experience with electric movements is pretty slim but I would like to learn more. The back plate is stamped "Made in Germany for Seth Thomas clocks" with a movement number of "A 304-000". At present, the clock will keep good time plugged in but the three strike hammers do not move at all through the day. Even if I manually drop the rack onto the snail, the gathering pallet (or any other elements of the strike chain), move at all. It does not appear as if anyone has monkeyed with the movement. I have tried to find a primer on this type of movement (probably too cheap to bear much expense on) but so far I have not found anything to help me. I think what I need more than anything is a study aid to understand how this movement works but any suggestions would be appreciated.