• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Clock Need a mainspring

B. J. Taylor

NAWCC Member
Dec 7, 2019
Country
Region
I have one of the dreaded German Time Bombs that has the problem of the mainspring is trying to tear along the edge, something I don't believe to be repairable, at least not with my expertise.
I have been unable to locate a mainspring for it. Yes I have looked at horolovar for help and could not identify one. If anyone knows the part number and where it can be found, or has an extra one laying around it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
While there are a lot of these clocks extant almost nobody repairs them, so there are probably no new spares laying around. You're looking for a very specific "constant force spring." Unlike a typical mainspring it resists being unwound. Constant force springs are popular for a lot of applications in industry. You may be able to find a suitable replacement from a spring supplier, but it might cost more than the clock is worth.

Eric

B. J. Taylor

NAWCC Member
Dec 7, 2019
Country
Region
While I partially agree with you, I was thinking as many clock guys can't be bothered with repairing these that they may have pieces of one laying around and I might get lucky and find one since they can't all be bad and no good clock person throws out possibly good parts. This being a 1 inch wide spring I know it is unique and would be kept. If for nothing but to know you had one if needed.

B. J. Taylor

NAWCC Member
Dec 7, 2019
Country
Region
Still looking, the one I have has a tear in it and I don't care to have it break on me.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReyes11
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.