Need a little help with a strange Gilbert strike part.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Well, I've never encountered one like this before. How is the strike activated? This little part fell out before I could see where it's supposed to go. I'm guessing it has to attach to the minute wheel? How is it stabilized so it doesn't turn freely? I'm stumped. :eek:

IMG_4819.JPG IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4821.JPG

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
At the moment I do not recognize that part. What type of Gilbert did this come from? It really looks like it should hold something down and then be screwed to the plate. Are you sure it came from this clock or could it have been a loose piece. Again I'd like to see the movement from another angle, which I know is hard now that it is apart, or the model of the clock.

You appear to be missing an arm that activates on the two pins coming off the center shaft. Did this clock ever run or are you in a case of resurrection.

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
Look at the inside of the back plate. Could that have been screwed or bradded to the plate and act as the trip lever for the count wheel strike arm assembly.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'll look at it today. It's an odd arrangement.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I've never seen one like this but I believe it has to be similar to this illustration. It would allow the movement to be a "turn back" movement. The pins on the ctr shaft would allow this part to lift the "lifting lever" only in the forward direction. Look for a threaded hole for a shoulder screw, or an extra hole that may have held a rivet approximately where shown in the illustration. There may also be a wear point on the lifting lever where it contacts the mystery part.

RC

IMG_4819A.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Cleaver! OK, I'll take a look and see what I can find.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Well, you guys were very close. The danged thing goes right on the intermediate wheel. It has just barely enough room to fit under the plate, but on the pivot. The little tab with the hole has to be completely straight. I had to take it apart five times to discover that I had an almost imperceptible bend, and the part would not float freely enough to release after warn. Frustrating thing. I hope this helps the next guy! I think I'll alter the thread name a bit to make it easier to find while searching. The movement is ticking away on my test stand as I type. BTW, the trademark date on the movement is 1879. Comes out of a kitchen clock.

IMG_4826.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Bugs,

I saw that little wear circle on your lever's center hole and though maybe it went over a pivot, or was held loosely with a rivet somewhere. But, I've worked on a lot of Gilbert's and I've never seen a lever like that, much less one than was held in place by a pivot! Learn something every day ...

S-T used a 'turn back' lever during that same era that serves this same function but is loosely riveted to the plate. It has a steel pin and a more complex shape.

Glad you and RC figured that one out.

Willie

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
So happy that I found this thread! I'm working on an identical movement and had the same part fall out before I noticed where it was. I spent two hours trying to sort out how it fit, finally came to NAWCC and had the answer within five minutes. What a resource!! THANKS

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Glad all my frustrations were helpful, Mike :) There will probably be others who are helped as well :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcfly88
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff