Neat watch made with Taig Lathe

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Kevin W., Oct 9, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  2. RunesS

RunesS Registered User

Jun 29, 2005
    Hillerød, Denmark
    Country Flag:
    He "only" made the case and buckle, right? I mean he didn't make the movement, hands and dial, did he?

Best Regards Rune B

3. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    According to the caption, he made everything except the screws. One presumes that includes the entire movement, as well. Although, I tend to wonder if he made the jewels.

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Did he make it for Shreve Crump & Low of Boston, which appears to be what is on the dial.

5. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    I would have to assume that if he’s referring to the case and buckle he started with castings and finished them to dimension. They could be billet but I don’t think one would want to start with a block of 18k rose gold and machine out those parts.
    Regards,
    Jeff

6. hoo-boy

hoo-boy Registered User

Nov 13, 2008
    retired
    1/2 mile past Resume Speed
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, the fun sure got kicked out of this one!:bang: hoo-boy

7. Sterling

Sterling Registered User

Jun 10, 2009
    jeweler, carburetor builder
    NY
    #7 Sterling, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    Gold can cast detail surprisingly well. For the case & chassis, best would be to machine a block of wax. Shrink rate for usual 18K alloys is less than 2.5%; still enough to have to take into consideration when machining the wax. Then machining is really just to true up the work, with much less waste.
    Gold is "sticky" for machining and it readily binds with steel, so cutting tools need to be adequately lubricated. I use bee's wax for blades and lathe work.
    With gold and silver, there is a huge difference in the temper extremes. Annealed gold & silver is so soft that it's nearly useless for durability and for machining. So my GUESS is that the maker had the case cast and then heat treated by the caster. I know from experience that the difference between machining cast annealed gold and work hardened gold is like night & day.

8. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    I have machined parts from both 14k and 18k soft yellow gold in the past. Some parts were cast and a few simple parts from solid bar stock. However, I was fortunate enough to have diamond tooling. When speeds and feeds are correct the diamond tooling cuts clean and leaves a finish that requires little additional polishing. They would disassemble the lathe for a good cleaning once a year and send the wooden work top out to be burnt.
    There really isn't enough detail in the description on the Taig site for us to know what the guy actually did.
    Regards,
    Jeff

9. bchaps

bchaps Registered User

Dec 16, 2001
    Mountain Top, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regardless what may have been turned or cast, I am awestruck when I see this level of work by any individual.

10. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good Day to all,

I too have turned gold and silver in my lathe. Two examples are shown on the images below. The first one is an IWC in a new 18ct. yellow gold case designed by an artist friend.

My friend had cast a large ring of gold, which I used to turn the case from. Turning it was a major pain but it was well worth the effort. The final product was case of 2-1/2 oz of gold, without the movement. Case was additionally decorated with few diamonds just for a kick.

http://i017.radikal.ru/0910/f5/d870cecca480t.jpg

Unfortunately, this watch got stolen several years ago. I did that one over ten years ago. Since that time I have done other cases as well and have learned what one should not and what one could do with precious metals.

The second one was a chrono, not a bit less of problem.

http://i003.radikal.ru/0910/c5/ebb76e959a1at.jpg 148.jpg 149.jpg

As with all other things in life it is live and learn.

Cheers

Dushan

11. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a beautiful job, but I'm sure it's just the case that has been made. The movement looks like a commercial one, and there's no way you could do things like cutting wheels of that size on a Taig.

I'm no way decrying the work, though.

Curiously, it was done in UK; on the forum here, I see talk of "making a clock" whereas the threads are really "making a clock case" as we in UK would call it.

12. davestanda

davestanda Registered User

May 23, 2011
    i think the person did make the movement..the movement to me looks in no way like something mass produced...the movement doesn't look like anything i had ever see...the movement i think was made.. the taig, i don't have one ..along with a sherline can make watch parts...from what i i have been reading both machines seem capable of making alot..like jerry says its the techinque and the way you do which is different...also i think if the person was able to make the movement i would think he would be capable of signing the movement... on other sites that talk about both lathes (the sherline and the tiag) if they show how someon made just the case they say how it is just the case that has been made..

13. R.G.B.

R.G.B. Registered User

Feb 27, 2009
    Photographer
    Vancouver B.C.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The watch is nice but I'm thinking of the top project. It looks like you could thread the prop side of the engine to fit an 8mm headstock and extend the shaft through. You could turn between centers powered from the head stock. :)