Survey: NAWCC Marine Chronometer Chapter?

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by doug sinclair, Dec 5, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    NAWCC has chapters for electric timekeepers, alarm clocks, 400-day clocks, tower clocks, military timekeepers, etc. Etc. But there is not a chapter dedicated to marine chronometers, torpedo boat chronometers, deck watches, comparing watch, etc. Now that we have our own forum on the MB, the time has come (I feel) to investigate the possibility of a new chapter for the timekeepers we all love. How say you?

2. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug, do you think there are enough if us?

3. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Just as an outside observer, I suggest the main point for you all to consider is this - what could you do as a Chapter which you (now) cannot do as a forum?

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I realize that he 65 threads currently shown in this forum include older threads brought forward to the new forum, and the 856 posts to the forum likewise are a bit skewed. I just thought I'd throw the topic out and see what the reaction might be. As to what might be the advantages of a chapter? Same as the advantages enjoyed by the other "specialty" chapters. Local chapter meetings not included, of course. But a more direct form of communication between chapter members, perhaps an annual meeting at an NAWCC convention, a dedicated newsletter, a technical help aspect. Just a thought! But the reaction to my suggestion reads loud and clear. Maybe some time in the future.

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried to set up a Swiss horology interest chapter and gave up. It is a lot of paperwork which in and of itself would be doable but it is based on getting a slate of officers and I could not do this.

I suggest this message board is probably enough provide we can also use it find out who is attending meetings and arrange informal get togethers at them.