NAWCC eMart suggestion

Harold Visser

Aug 24, 2000
Gilbert Arizona
Country
Region
Instead of the having the eMart link hidden way up in the top right hand corner, why couldn't the link be placed right on the message board say, the next one down following the Message Board Problems/Comments section? Maybe it might get more people to take a peek at it if it's more visible.
Harold

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Harold,

Good point. That scrawny little text link was easy to miss. I couldn't put it in among the forums as you suggested. Instead I gave it a shot of graphic steroids. It's a bigger target now. What do you think?

Regards,

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Hi Tom -

What is the reason that photo resolution on the eMart is limited to 100K in size?

Fred

Jon Hanson

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Ha, I have requested this for the past two years--all on deaf ears!

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Fred,

I imagine it's to save server space and bandwidth. 100 K is pretty hefty if you use jpg files.

I can't say for sure because I don't run the eMart. That's Ray Fanchamp's baby. You can find a link to his email on the main eMart page.

Regards,

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Jon,

First I've known of that. Did you request it in this forum? I don't read all postings in all forums.

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
I'd suggest also moving it to the other side (ie the left side) of the page, and probably using different colors from the ones you're using.

When you open the page, your eye goes to the Nawcc area on the left side of the page, which is not only much larger, but much brighter, and with better contrast in the colors. And of course, since we read from left to right, that's where we automatically go. IF there's enough empty space immediately to the right of the image, the eye figures what's next of importance is below.

So the eye drops down the page to see what the page is about.

Getting someone to see the Emart isn't only a question of size, it's getting the eye over there. You'd have to have music and flashing lights to draw the eye over--and even that might not work, it's too far away.

If you want people to see the "EMart" sign it should be near the "Nawcc Board" on the left (where? above or below, etc? it's a matter of seeing what works). Also, the colors need to be eye-catching, compatible but at variance with the Nawcc colors; and, within its own specific area, the colors of foreground (letters) need to be sufficiently distinct from the background. Otherwise the eye won't recognizes that a very important, separate image exists (ie so the eye stops on it, or is caught by it), as it moves across the page.

Mo

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Modersohn,

You are right that the first thing that people notice on a page is the top left corner. I think that it's important to keep the main 4 big rules there.

Flashing lights? That we can do. I gave the logo a small touch of life. I don't think that it's enough to annoy, but it should gently draw attention.

What do you think?

Regards,

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
Hi, Tom.

I'm trying to give you some idea of how I would do it (again, I've never done this, and I don't have most of the functions that you do). It's much better, esp the suggestions that jump out, if you touch the area. That works much better--but I'd like to play with it, if you don't mind. I'll work at it some more, and try to send you a version. :) :eek:

Jessica

Jon Hanson

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
This freebie needs promoting--how about semi monthly paper mart ads or a banner on the front of the mart?

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
I don't think (if I'm an example) that people read the rules. The "Nawcc Message Board" banner is so intense that you look at that, and then go down the page.

Possibly, you could put a "mart" banner, or message, between the rules and the list of categories " the messages, on the left, also between the rules (in my version) and the "Nawcc Home page/message board//message board section/topc" pathway that's outlined at top.

Since the rules are superimportant, they would most likely be read, if you empty out (more or less) the right side of the board, and put them there, in the white space across from the message board, in a larger more interesting font than the Mart, or pathway. I would have them probably closer to the center, and partially surrounded on right side and possibly bottom with a flowery design of some kind, or in the glittery stuff you have under the Mart now.

Most people don't read rules, if they're just listed out of the way, as they are not--or if they do, they don't make much of an impression. That way, since the board is unbalanced, if you do enough to make the rules visually interesting, people's eyes will do there. They'll have no competition on that side of the board, so they have a chance to make an impression.

Just another thought :???:

Jessica

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Jessica,

I suspect that you are right about people not reading the rules. That's why the most likely to be violated have the most visible position. Note that when you register, you have to check a box that says you have read and agree to the rules.

We are pretty limited in what we can do about the layout. I can change anything in the green and tan box at the top of the page. After that, the logo has to go at upper left. The white space to the right of the logo is off limits, as is the general layout of the rest of the page.

The green and tan box is pretty packed, but it has to be. If it takes up too much vertical real estate, the message board content will be off the page, and you would have to scroll down to get your first peek. If it takes more than 3 seconds to find where the postings are, people will navigate away.

The bottom line is that anything custom should go into the box, and the box shouldn't get any bigger. That's what we have to work with.

Regards,

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Another thought ... it would be nice to see some provision made to allow feedback from both buyer and seller on eMart listings.

Is this possible?

Fred

T

Tom Chaudoir

Hi Fred,

Beats me. I forwarded a copy of your suggestion to Ray Fanchamps.

Regards,

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages