NAWCC Approved???

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by George Nelson, Feb 29, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, All! I recently encountered an eBay seller who specializes in reproduction dials and beat plaques. He claims in his listings that his work is "NAWCC
    approved". I've never heard of our Association actually approving any repairs or restorations. Perhaps I've missed something. Does our Association actually certify or endorse any individuals engaging in the trade of clock or watch repairs?:confused: I look forward to your comments on this. Peace to all, George

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    George, thanks for the notice.

The NAWCC "does" provide certification of skills for School of Horology graduates who have successfully completed the full course in watchmaking or clockmaking, but we do NOT certify their work or work product. Field Suitcase Workshop students receive a certificate of completion of each course taken but we do NOT certify either their skills or work product. Regarding the work product of any member including these two examples, NAWCC does NOT certify what they may make or do for personal gain. The NAWCC Member Code of Ethical Conduct is quite specific, Section A.4. as follows:
    Italics and red color are mine for emphasis.

If you have the information regarding the person in question, please send me a Private Message with that info and I will see it gets to the right authority.

3. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have used the gentleman in question several times and recommended him to others. His dials are excellent and if I'm going to use a paper dial, I'll never use anyone else.

4. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    if this Doug in Canada he does outstanding work and ships very fast.

5. Matt Parker

Matt Parker Registered User

Sep 6, 2008
    Clockmaker
    Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think that is the point. No one is questioning his work. It would appear as though he is using the NAWCC name in violation of NAWCC rules.

6. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    Many repairers and merchants mention in their websites or auctions that they are NAWCC members. But they stop short of saying that they are "approved" in any way.

7. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hi, All,

Thanks for your comments, Pigrion. As you said, it was not my intention to besmirch anyone's reputation or question the quality of work performed. I was genuinely curious as to the claimed "NAWCC Approved," simply because I had never seen such nomenclature before. As Thyme says, I have seen references to membership in our Association in many ads and eBay listings. I purchased a beat plaque from the business in question, and agree totally that the work, service and product was top notch all the way. I'm quite sorry to have opened up a can of worms here. I need to improve my writing skills so that I can more clearly convey my intended message! George Nelson

8. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As I pointed out in my earlier post, there is nothing wrong or against the rules to state you are a NAWCC member whether in your personal or business card, storefront business, home business, on eBay, or other Internet venue. Just don't claim that your goods or work product are approved in any way by NAWCC.

I'm moving this to Horological Miscellaneous as it applies to any aspect of a member's association with NAWCC and is good for both members and non-members to understand.